Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activating a new sim

beeeeerlin
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello, I am visiting the UK for just a week adn wanted to buy a prepaid sim card to use the internet on the go while I'm here. I bought a 20GB for £15 sim card from a small store on the street.

For some reason, I can't send any messages or use the internet even though I've inserted the sim card already. When I googled the issue, everybody was talking about "topping up" the sim card with a minimum of £10. But I don't want to add an extra £10 to the card, I already paid £15 for the 20GB, why can't I just use that? What did I pay the £15 for, then? I'm sorry, I'm very new to this so I have no idea what I'm doing. Is there a way to activate the card without throwing away another £10. I just want the 20GB I paid £15 for at the shop already.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149484 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28499 Solutions

@beeeeerlin 

Looks like to shop you bought it from didn't activate it properly so you need to go back to the store and get them to do it.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
  • 149484 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28499 Solutions

@beeeeerlin 

Your phone may need the correct apn settings.

Check them as listed here 

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Android-Devices-Samsung-HTC-Sony/Connecting-Android-Phone-to-Data-Serv...

or for iPhone https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Apple-iOS-Devices-iPhone-iPad/Connecting-iPhone-to-Data-Services/m-p/5... 

Texts and calls should work fine for any standard UK numbers, but you'll need extra credit to call or message abroad.

Guide: Your Allowances - what is and isn't included 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 7

Breanna
Former Staff
  • 1808 Posts
  • 117 Topics
  • 17 Solutions

Hi @beeeeerlin any luck getting your SIM working with the advice above?

Message 3 of 7

beeeeerlin
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Nope, didn't really help. It's still not working. I can't do anything - even text messages to service numbers won't go through. Really bummed out, I wish there was a way to get a refund but I don't think that's possible 😞 £15 is quite a bit of money for me.

Message 4 of 7

MI5
  • 149484 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28499 Solutions

@beeeeerlin 

What is the activate by date on the sim pack?

If it's out of date you will have to go back to shop for a refund or check the packaging for any specific activation details.

Message 5 of 7

beeeeerlin
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Nope, the activate by date is later this year. I checked the packaging for any activation instructions but there are none 😞

Message 6 of 7

MI5
  • 149484 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28499 Solutions

@beeeeerlin 

Looks like to shop you bought it from didn't activate it properly so you need to go back to the store and get them to do it.

Message 7 of 7