Did you mean: 

scam calls

Nigel68
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

yesterday I received 2 calls from Botswana, call lasted for approx 4 seconds then rang off.

today I received 8 calls from Guinea, call lasted for approx 4 seconds then rang off.

These are scam calls and/or telemarketing calls.

I have blocked the numbers as they call using my iPhone contacts but is there a register with O2, similar to the Telephone Preference Service, that I can request to have my number added to/

Thanks,

Nigel

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Philb65
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I have recieved upwards of 100 calls all from Guinea in the past 36 hours. I was on the online support with O2 last night and was told that they were getting reports of this scam after they did maintenance on one of their servers. I have blocked every number that has called. I rang back the first time before I new it was a scam and was told to go to a website. By the time i realised the website didn't exist i had been charged 18 pounds. I have not been able to block an area code and the calls have rendered my phone useless over the past 36 hours. Extremely disappointed.
Message 11 of 16

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

That's just a crazy amount of cals. I'm relieved to say this isn't affecting me at the moment. If they say it's something that has happened since a server maintenance then it must only be a block of mobile numbers that the server services.

I've had a quick look on the other network community latest posts and there is nothing apart from one poster on EE asking if anyone else is receiving calls from Guinea so maybe not just O2 customers getting flooded.

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/General-chat/Anyone-else-receiving-lots-of-calls-from-diff-no-s-in-Gui...

Message 12 of 16

Zoo300
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
From sat night till sun 9pm have had 50 calls from Guinea. This morning they have started again, this time from Honduras.
Message 13 of 16

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I`ve had a look at website which traces spam calls - https://spamcalls.net/gb-en/ - which gives a list of some of the +442 numbers from Africa received in the UK.

DO NOT REPLY TO MISCALLS FROM ANY OF THESE NUMBERS... as you may well be charged extortionate amount.

I have also noted a report on the gaff-gaff community of one member having received such calls. 

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 14 of 16

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Thanks @Cleoriff for the mention, and everyone else for helping out as well slight_smile

@Nigel68 @Stephc81 @Zach85 @Philb65 @Zoo300 

I've just checked on my end and can confirm that we are aware of this and are currently investigating it. We advise everyone not to answer or call any unknown international numbers: please report spam callers by texting CALL to 7726 and we'll respond by asking for the number calling you. You might also want to block the number by using the settings on your phone. 

Hope this helps!

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 15 of 16

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 16 of 16