Did you mean: 

scam calls

Nigel68
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

yesterday I received 2 calls from Botswana, call lasted for approx 4 seconds then rang off.

today I received 8 calls from Guinea, call lasted for approx 4 seconds then rang off.

These are scam calls and/or telemarketing calls.

I have blocked the numbers as they call using my iPhone contacts but is there a register with O2, similar to the Telephone Preference Service, that I can request to have my number added to/

Thanks,

Nigel

Message 1 of 16
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Nigel68 This is a scam effecting quite a few people currently.

O2 are investigating, but you'll need to keep blocking numbers until resolved.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Nigel68 This is a scam effecting quite a few people currently.

O2 are investigating, but you'll need to keep blocking numbers until resolved.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 16

Stephc81
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi Nigel,

I have had this happen to me, started at 7.15am Saturday morning. 1st call from Botswana and the rest are New Guinea. I reject the calls and block the numbers. I have tried to set my phone to block international numbers but I get asked for a password which I do not know.

At 4.15am this morning the calls started on my husbands phone! It's apparently called tech scam. It happened to me last year aswell but from India, I was getting on average 30 calls a day. They dont speak if you answer which prompts callers to ring back, they get charged for the calls and the money gets distributed!

They are getting beyond a joke now to the point our phones are on silent. When we heard the phone at 4.15 this morning we thought something was wrong with the mother in law as she has suffered several strokes in the past 18 months. Just hope o2 get it sorted asap

Message 3 of 16

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I'm not sure if our managers are aware so will tag them into this thread as well @Marjo @EmilieT @Martin-O2 ?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 16

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

I'm not too sure O2 are investigating this current scam but use the link to report the calls.

This customer was told it was being investigated.

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Off-Topic/Blocking-unwanted-224-numbers/m-p/1251008#M153267

Currently using:
Message 6 of 16

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

@jonsie wrote:

I'm not too sure O2 are investigating this current scam but use the link to report the calls.

This customer was told it was being investigated.

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Off-Topic/Blocking-unwanted-224-numbers/m-p/1251008#M153267

Was told but as this has only happened in the last couple of days then I doubt very much the veracity of that coming from a customer service adviser to be honest.

Message 7 of 16

Zach85
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Getting a fair few calls myself all from Guinea. Blocking each number and not answering but they're a persistant bunch. How many numbers can they have?
Message 8 of 16

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
A few billion....

Currently using:
Message 9 of 16

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

I wonder if this is affecting customers on other networks? As the calls are coming from abroad and are constantly changing, it probably makes them untraceable. Apart from blocking calls from an entire country, which they're not going to do, I can't see O2 or any other network being able to stop this.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 10 of 16