Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMS/MMS over O2 WiFi calling

seanbean
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

With the UK banks about to implement SMS/MMS texting to distribute verification codes for online purchases - what are O2 doing to enable SMS/MMS over O2 WiFi calling inline with other network providers (e.g. EE)?  

Or should we now consider switching to another network provider?

Message 1 of 59
58 REPLIES 58

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93157 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

I can't understand why, when they already had a system in place on two apps

i.e. Tugo and O2 Ask

Why was either one disconinued or was it more of a strain on a creaking system?

Message 31 of 59

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35745 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1579 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

I can't understand why, when they already had a system in place on two apps

i.e. Tugo and O2 Ask

Why was either one disconinued or was it more of a strain on a creaking system?

I doubt we shall ever know, @jonsie. TuGo and TuGo Desktop were the biz when working on a computer all day, SMS to and from the desktop. 🤐

Message 32 of 59

Junior
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 75 Posts
  • 12 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I think what I find hard to get my head round is that every other operator has managed to implement this - three, Vodafone and EE. Why is it so difficult for o2? Are they using legacy systems? Can they not use the same codes that the other operators use?
Message 33 of 59

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144080 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
It's a mystery to us all @Junior......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 34 of 59

jonnymk
  • 39 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

lack of SMS over Wi-Fi is pants when you get banking codes via SMS still. Might have to jump ship, especailly due to the lack of 5G in MK despite the o2 press release saying it was launched here - only activated on one mast. 3 have launched it on 7 or so masts and EE have almost covered the whole town with 5G now. Don't even use the 5G much but it's just principal, do you want to spend your money with a forwards looking telco or one that is focussed on 2G coverage in 2021.

Regards,

Jonathan

Message 35 of 59

Portlanders
  • 19 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Since i posted i tested positive for covid and so am self isolating for 10 days. 
Means now i can't get texts, where before i would pick them up when i went out and gained a signal. 
I've even missed NHS text according to Track n Trace that phoned me this morning. 

OTP's seem common now, not only in banking, but sites like Amazon, etc along with GP surgery prefering to text, couriers too!

@Chris_K  doesn't the current climate where self isolation is becoming increasingly common, not escalate the importance of bringing wifi sms to be implemented?
I understand there is probably a chain of importance, does the missing of important NHS sms whilst self isolating not prioritse this service higher up the chain? 

Message 36 of 59

Portlanders
  • 19 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Well, i'm jumping ship. Wasn't looking to leave, but spotted an offer for the Samsung S21 Ultra, unlimited mins/texts, 100GB data on a 24 month contract with Three. Nothing upfront and £41 a month. 

Plus i get £460 trade-in with Samsung for my S20+ and I get pair of free buds. 

And now i can have my texts being delivered over wifi. 

Will consider rejoining O2 in the future, once they have text over wifi implemented, 

Message 37 of 59

jonnymk
  • 39 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

the good news is multiple reports say it is coming this year, so I will just sit tight and hope it gets added before my contract ends slight_smile I do hope o2 roll out more 5G around buckingamshire though...

Message 38 of 59

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35745 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1579 Solutions

I think 5G and the Virgin Media merger are keeping them busy, @jonnymk  - but this article is one source of hope:

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2021/01/o2-uk-expects-to-add-sms-support-to-wifi-calling-in-20...

Tagging @Chris_K who usually has the inside news on such matters... 

Message 39 of 59

seanbean
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Anyone know how to ask Is Preview for an update?

@Chris_K ?
Message 40 of 59