Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMS/MMS over O2 WiFi calling

seanbean
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

With the UK banks about to implement SMS/MMS texting to distribute verification codes for online purchases - what are O2 doing to enable SMS/MMS over O2 WiFi calling inline with other network providers (e.g. EE)?  

Or should we now consider switching to another network provider?

Message 1 of 59
58 REPLIES 58

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35211 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions
Happens when you contract out your Crown Jewels... 👑
Message 21 of 59

Portlanders
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 19 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Is there any official communication about when this will be implemented?

My wife and I, switched from Sky to O2, we rely on wifi signal in the home and are now missing important text from our gp surgery. 
When we checked that O2 did wifi calling, we assumed it would be text as well.. how silly of us. 

Looks like we may have to jump ship early is O2 are not going to support wifi text. 

Message 22 of 59

Portlanders
  • 19 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Just found this... as we're still waiting? 

Perhaps O2 don't want to officialy announce they are not implenting it for fear of loss of customers, existing and new. Especially when Sky can do this on the same network. 

Screenshot 20**Personal info** at 17.00.49.png

Message 23 of 59

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Chris_K  is the only person who can tell us @Portlanders.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 24 of 59

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Ii can guess the answer too......

Wifi Calling has been a fantastic addition to our network and we can’t wait to bring SMS over Wifi to our network too, but it’s incredibly complex to implement and requires exhaustive testing. We hope to see it available in 2020, 2021, but we’ll keep customers updated as and when there's progress or further info.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 25 of 59

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

@Cleoriff wrote:

Ii can guess the answer too......

Wifi Calling has been a fantastic addition to our network and we can’t wait to bring SMS over Wifi to our network too, but it’s incredibly complex to implement and requires exhaustive testing. We hope to see it available in 2020, 2021, 2022 maybe perhaps hopefully but we’ll keep customers updated as and when there's progress or further info.

Fixed it...

Message 26 of 59

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Yes, it's a long way to Tipperary....rofl

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 27 of 59

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

@Portlanders wrote:

Just found this... as we're still waiting? 

Perhaps O2 don't want to officialy announce they are not implenting it for fear of loss of customers, existing and new. Especially when Sky can do this on the same network. 

I'm as disappointed as you are @Portlanders but unfortunately the technology is complex and there are a lot of moving parts, so to speak. At a time we did hope to see the functionality roll out in 2018 but obviously that came and went, along with 2019 and 2020 too. At the risk of sounding like a broken record the project team do hope to see this implemented this year, but as you've already seen it's sadly not something I can promise with any degree of certainty right now.

What I can say though is that it's not a case of 'we're not implementing it and not saying' - if that were the case it's something I'd tell you and others about. It is something actively being looked into and it will be implemented, but exactly when isn't something we can answer.

As soon as there's any more info or further developments i'll let everyone know.

PS. Though Sky operate on our network, some network functionalities such as SMS over Wifi etc are in that MVNO's control and can operate independently of any system or platform reliances that we ourselves may depend upon for implementation.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 28 of 59

Portlanders
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 19 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you @Chris_K 

Message 29 of 59

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts