Did you mean: 

Phone services blocked: email stating payment required 14 days before bill date

DanSully531
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Good evening,

I am a pay monthly customer who has a good track record with bill payments, I pay by direct debit and I don’t think I’ve been late on a payment In 6 years or so.

I donated money to children in need on Friday night via the quick code provided by the bbc. I expected it to show on my bill at the end of the billing period.

Now, I have been emailed stating that my services have been suspended (text, call, receive calls but my data was not mentioned) until I pay at least £30 of my bill. I was also emailed by mycare@o2mail.co.uk stating the same thing and providing a number 0344 8090202 in order to pay the bill.

I was suspicious so called o2 shortcut from my wife’s phone and was offered to pay my bill but there was no mention of the barring of my service. I subsequently called the above number and they immediately spoke about the barring of my service once I typed my mobile in and without requiring any security information prompted payment. At this point I hung up.

Does this sound genuine as I am very suspicious it isnt.

Thanks
Dan
Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
If there is suspicious activity on the account, O2 will bar all services until payment is made, This is to protect the customer.
The definition of suspicious is only known to O2 though, unfortunately.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have your services been suspended?

Message 2 of 10

DanSully531
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Yes
Message 3 of 10

DanSully531
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
The text message I received was also from O2-UK and all other texts I have received are from O2UK no dash.
Message 4 of 10

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
If there is suspicious activity on the account, O2 will bar all services until payment is made, This is to protect the customer.
The definition of suspicious is only known to O2 though, unfortunately.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you donated then the money will show in your myo2 within 24 hours as premium charges will will be taken when your bill is paid but I’d call customer service to see what happened here

Message 6 of 10

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Did you only make one donation? It's a bit much that O2 can block a phone for donating to a charity by text but can do sod all about scammers taking money from our accounts via text. To me, that would be more highly suspicious!

Message 7 of 10

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Does that surprise you @jonsie ?

Currently using:
Message 8 of 10

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

The part about blocking due to a donation via a well known shortcode does. The second part doesn't but it's a bit ironic!

Message 9 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable