cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone Delivery

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am (soon to be was) a customer of 02 and have been for many years and I have always been happy with the service provided. The delivery of this service could only be described as efficient and unproblematic (that is until recently). I decided to upgrade my contract from ongoing monthly to O2 refresh tariff. As I would be working all week I decided to have the phone delivered to a local store where a friend could pick up the item adhering to any security checks your company may of had.

According to the email I received if someone else was picking up the I phone the person would need a copy of the email sent and proof of ID such as a passport. My friend kindly went to the designated store (Buchannan St, Glasgow) and after a short wait and a discussion between two employees was advised that their policy had changed just two weeks previous and that they would not deliver the phone despite my friend adhering to the guidelines mentioned in the email. My friend provided a European passport as proof of ID and a copy of the email requested. The staff did not ask for any further security checks. After hearing what happened I immediately contacted telephone support who where similarly confused why the phone was not delivered under the terms agreed. After your rep contacted the store it turns out that the staff would not deliver the phone as my friend held a European passport. The customer support both telephone and online chat admit there is no change in policy as mentioned by the o2 sales rep. Maybe they wrote the policy themselves (possibly with crayons). It seems it was a clear case of discrimination by one employee. Sad these individuals aren't sent on some kind of diversity course. Thanks online and telephone support for your help but it's not for you to apologise for another's ignorance . Soon to be x customer

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @Anonymous

I'm sorry to hear of your recent experience with this.

I appreciate your frustration but do take into account that the release of an expensive handset to a non account holder has to be actioned under strict guidelines. No one wants to have to explain to their manager that a phone has been possibly lost due to release of such an item without supporting said paperwork.

If you opted for the Click &Collect http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,KB=Companion,question=ref(user):str(Mobile),CASE=51243 then it's correct that they should have been able to collect it for you after providing the e mail and any acceptable I.d. The notes in the link just says a friend or family member can collect it for you if they bring the Collection Reference with them.

The crux here is the type of passport it seems with the store staff. They should have phoned their head office to clarify in my opinion ,and or involve the store manager.

Is this recent experience worth ending a long term union because of this. I assume up to now O2 have provided you with an acceptable service ?

Some other networks may not provide good signal etc where you liv , work and commute. If you do move then check them out via their Payg SIM cards by using their service.

Their are ways of making an official complaint to gain satisfaction.

http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=Companion,question=ref(User):str(Mobile),CASE=13668

Take care.
Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Excellent reply BoB

I would add that the OP would not have been happy had they phone been collected under their instruction but by someone else and then he/she had to sort out the mess that would have followed.

It is a hassle, yes, but given years of great service etc. I would accept this as a one off hassle, collect the phone myself and stay happy.

I hope the OP does stay as they have been generally happy with o2.
Message 3 of 7

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
A great pair of answers guys, well done

@Mattrgn, sorry to hear about your issues, please follow the advice posted here and if you're still at a loss, send me a private message.

FYI, I've created a new thread for your post and edited the title, as you'll get more advice this way.

I'm Toby, the community coordinator slight_smile
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 4 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
That's a real shame to be let down like that but if you were happy with O2 for a long time maybe think about getting it sorted and sticking with it after all better the devil you know
Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
I know a lot of stores do worry about this because unfortunately click and collect has been used in the past for scammers and advisors obviously have to be extra vigilant for this.

It's an inconvenience I know, but I'd rather them being safe than sorry and have to go to store myself than to give the handset to someone else pretending to be my friend.

Maybe Click & Collect would be better for account holder only to collect, no issues then.
Message 6 of 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
That's reasonable wanty..... Discrimination aside, alarm bells must ring when someone turns up with a foreign passport...?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 7