Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Recycle is a joke

Maggiemoo
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Got quoted £225 for my iPhone 7 Plus, it’s immaculate! Honestly no damage whatsoever. I even returned it in the recycle pack that was sent plus bubble wrap! And this morning they have said £46.20 due to • Screen damage : Discoloured area on LCD (shading) what a joke!!!! How can they lie like this? I’m now concerned that it will be returned damaged so I have spoken to O2 (not recycling dept) and will wait to see what condition it is in when it is returned. If my old phone is not how I sent it I will escalate this further
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Skyhawk1010
  • 150 Posts
  • 18 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Ref CeX CAUTIONARY NOTE

I have used my local Barry CeX branch several times and overall have been delighted with the service there. 

But that does not go for every store every time.

Whilst it is unlikely in comparison to our Recycle friends theres been instances where I’ve got into spat with other staff and other stores. So I thought it would be relevant to give you all some guidance:

1)  Be realistic about your phone condition. Do not go in there wanting Condition A (Mint ‘As New’ condition) prices for Condition C (heavily used, marked etc but still 100% working order) equipment.

2) You will need good ID such as a current full  driving licence to do any transaction. No ID=No Sell ! 

3) CeX will need time to thoroughly check your phone. This is normally at least 30 mins up to an hour 

4) CeX can change their prices instantly and nothing is certain until the receipt is printed and yo have signed it.

5) Going back to point 1 CeX can be incredibly fussy about condition. I took a Huawei P10 Plus in there recently and gave it a ‘B’ grade  “because the charging port wasn’t mint”. The flip side is that there Condition A grade is literally ‘As new’ when you are buying off them.

6) And finally, be prepared to wait in a queue All CeX stores are ...BUSY.

Hope this helps !

Message 11 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Actually not all CEX stores are busy & don’t have queues all the time. Also some people will already know they won’t get mint condition price. After all everyone knows it’s a 2nd Hand exchange store
Message 12 of 16

Skyhawk1010
  • 150 Posts
  • 18 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Why the tone for?

My comments were a generalisation NOT a set-in-stone gospel statement valid 24/7/365 ! 

Not everybody on here knows the score with CeX, they might show up without ID, they might not like being in a queue (try the Cardiff St Davids store and you’ll see what I mean!) and peoples definition of ‘Mint’ varies wildly. Check eBay on the cameras section and you’ll also see exactly what I mean.

29 years in retail which included time taking in items for purchase and part exchange does give me a little bit of experience in this area. 

Message 13 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

There was no tone in my post. You misread into that. I also have years of retail experience

Message 14 of 16

Skyhawk1010
  • 150 Posts
  • 18 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Just as a matter of interest here, are people still getting bother with O2 Recycle? 

Is it possible for someone interested in O2 Recycle to pop their handset into an O2 store and get their payment there and then? 

I'm still getting on nicely with CeX especially at my local Barry store btw.

Message 15 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes we still see the stories, instead of water damage, it’s now screen burn. No they have to send the device off then the amount gets put on your bill
Message 16 of 16