cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Ask mini review

Anonymous
Not applicable

O2 Ask

O2 Ask is a new service designed to replace the now defunct TU app which allowed customers with little or no signal to be able to call or text over their WiFi connection with their allowances. You can download it via your phones App Store. 

Overall Look

It looks very smart & looks the same as all the O2 apps. I like the new style of menus in this app compared to the myo2 one. Much clearer & easier to view especially data allowance. Although when you click on something it can take a while to load as it’s very slow. The menus look nice & simple. 

SMS function 

I primarily tested this app to see if the sms would work over WiFi considering I already have an excellent o2 signal in my area but some areas I frequent may occasionally need WiFi Calling so this was a welcome add. The function does take a little bit of working out but make sure your contacts that you want to text have the same app downloaded on their phone otherwise you can send but you won’t receive their replies. 

My Thoughts

Its a nice app but I think I’ll stick to good old myo2 for my account & WhatsApp for sending messages over WiFi

Message 1 of 91
90 REPLIES 90

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@Anonymouswrote:

@Marjo @Martin-O2 can we have an answer on this please 

It now appears as an official bolt on........ 

IScreenshot_20180307-112947.png

Message 61 of 91

jonsie
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

..... and at the moment it is showing as free. How long or forever? @Martin-O2 @Marjo.....?

Screenshot_20180307-113000.png

Message 62 of 91

Cleoriff
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

1) Is it working?

2) do we know what it does?

3) Is it all guesswork?

In case anyone thinks I am asking any of the regulars, I'm not.

We now have a damn bolt on which no-one from O2 has announced.

Big deal. They can stick it!!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 63 of 91

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
It just gets better and better. And the silence from O2 is deafening.
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 64 of 91

a_hcir
Level 5: Ponderer
  • 133 Posts
  • 17 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

This seems a positive move, but I'm puzzled why some functionality has been neutered since Tu Go...

Namely why can't you receive calls over wifi using it, and why can't you make chargeable calls over wifi using it?

My guess is that they decided to restrict it to calling UK phone numbers so they don't have to deal with the EU roaming obligation to allow calls within the same EU country that uses your allowance, as this may be technically tricky to implement/potentially vulnerable to abuse.

My other guess is that they don't want to allow it to recieve network calls over wifi so they don't miss out on roaming revenue..

Really sad they didn't release this a couple of weeks ago when I was abroad 😞

Message 65 of 91

GJD
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 101 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Does anyone know if there's an update on this? I only just learned about the app today.

I've downloaded it from Google Play (vsions 9.12.10, updated on 23 Feb 2018).

I've tried making a call from it, but it says "We're creating your account. You can make VozDigital calls and send SMS from the app once your account is created". But no indication of how long that takes.

Ah well, if it does work, it could be handy in places where there's either no O2 signal, or countries where roaming charges are extortionate. To be able to receive and send SMS over wifi would be useful (free!) in this situation perhaps. If the app actually works, that is.

I agree with previous comments about O2 leaving customers in the dark. Additionally, I only learned about "O2 Travel Inclusive Zone" from a poster advert on a train last week!!

Message 66 of 91

MI5
  • 143428 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
If you ever do get it to work, it's UK only. It won't work abroad unfortunately.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 67 of 91

GJD
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 101 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
If you ever do get it to work, it's UK only. It won't work abroad unfortunately.

Cripes ... you mean if you're on a wifi network abroad, you can't use it for texts to/from UK numbers? (Not so fussed about sending text messages to local numbers while abroad).

Message 68 of 91

jonsie
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

No it definitely won't work abroad. That was the intention when binning TU....

Message 69 of 91

MI5
  • 143428 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@GJD wrote:

@MI5 wrote:

Cripes ... you mean if you're on a wifi network abroad, you can't use it for texts to/from UK numbers? (Not so fussed about sending text messages to local numbers while abroad).

Same as with my EE contract.....

Tu was unique in that respect.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 70 of 91