Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

McCall
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

The location on my phone is Ibadan, whereas I live in Romsey UK.  It has been suggested to me that my device has been cloned.  Is this possible?

Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@McCall 

I doubt it as the phone is using location services, not anything else, so it will be physically reporting where it "thinks" it is.

Try clearing cache, disabling and enabling location services, set it to high accuracy etc.

If all fails you may have to think about a factory reset, but check if you have any apps that can control location etc too.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@McCall 

I doubt it as the phone is using location services, not anything else, so it will be physically reporting where it "thinks" it is.

Try clearing cache, disabling and enabling location services, set it to high accuracy etc.

If all fails you may have to think about a factory reset, but check if you have any apps that can control location etc too.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 4

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Good morning @McCall, it'd be really great if you could let us know how you get on with this - did you get a chance to try the suggestions above?  slight_smile

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 3 of 4

jezza1234
Level 12: Nimble
  • 339 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 7 Solutions

Nigeria is a heck of a long way from Romsey!. 

If your phone had been cloned it would only be the IMEI information and number. As already indicated the GPS location is determined by actually pingng the location of that specific device and not the sim information. Therefore it is very unlikley it has been cloned.

Is your device second hand(from the famous auction website) or have you bought a manufactrers refurb unit?

If this is the case then the cache will need clearing or to be absolutely sure do a factory reset(back up first) which will put it back to how it was when it left the factory. This should then clear the spurious GPS cache and you can start again.

It is odd that the GPS location has you in Nigeria. Even if the last location was abroad as soon as the gazateer is downloaded to your device from the GPS network it should sort itself out.

Message 4 of 4