cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International Favourites call-me numbers

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just tried to set up a call-me number in brasil.

Yesterday, I specifically asked if one was available in the (86) area code.

Today, I found out, (after buying the service), that the nearest location is about 2000 miles away from where my friends live. That's a long distance call for them, (DDD), which they won't make. To be honest, on PAYG tariffs there, DDD is not much cheaper than an international call.

Plus, I called one of them today on the outbound service, and although the line was clear, there was a long delay of about a second which made the experience rather like a shortwave radio.

Over and out 🙂
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 126102 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7552 Solutions

To add...in February of this year Sky turned off all signal to my area of the Costa Del Sol...so no-one can get it unless you go through Algeciras TV on contract...paying through the nose...:smileysad:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
We have the same choice of handset - I'm writing this on a Note 3!

I would assume, but I don't know, that it's either because the two networks don't have an agreement for billing for these short codes, or because the handset is applying some logic to the numbers dialed to put them in the correct international format, (I.E. convert 020 -> +44 20), which is munging the short code and so it's never sent out with a valid number.

But I don't know.

My experiment of calling +44 123 was just a quick attempt with an Oi sim. Never tried to diagnose why it wasn't working. But then most if not all uk mobiles can't dial the speaking clock on 123 anyway, so I dunno what I was expecting.

It's the O2 message service centre in the uk that receives them, just the same as any other sms, so presum
Message 12 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ignore that last sentence, I was writing some other waffle and forgot to delete it, (is it really 1 o'clock in the morning? Am I supposed to sleep during the night or something!?)
Message 13 of 24

Cleoriff
  • 126102 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7552 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Ignore that last sentence, I was writing some other waffle and forgot to delete it, (is it really 1 o'clock in the morning? Am I supposed to sleep during the night or something!?)

Well, as I have no knowledge of your nocturnal habits I can only presume the answer is yes...LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 14 of 24

jonsie
  • 94098 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7019 Solutions

It's a strange occurrence, I dial my Thai number from my uk mobile and the correct number is displayed on both phones. Granted it's not an IF call-me number but there must be a strange configuration at O2's end. I've tried all variations of shortcodes to no effect on both phones (strange how you while away the hours in bars) to no avail. Even TuGo can't handle them....Not that I would ever dream of voting in the idiotic Whistle) phone-ins. Heck, I can't even be bothered to catch up on You Tube.

By the way...I've been here 2 months, have these shows not finished yet?

Message 15 of 24

Cleoriff
  • 126102 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7552 Solutions

Yes @jonsie  they have all finished now (just in time for Christmas) Although there was a Christmas Special of Strictly Come Dancing...which I enjoyed...and no I didnt vote!! LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 24

jonsie
  • 94098 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7019 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Yes @jonsie  they have all finished now (just in time for Christmas) Although there was a Christmas Special of Strictly Come Dancing...which I enjoyed...and no I didnt vote!! LOL

Shucks...missed it!

Message 17 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
It would seem that the configuration at O2 is just to strip off the first digit and add the international code. Normally that would convert 0 xx xxxxxxxx into +55 xx xxxxxxxx, but when I dial from my UK number it arrives there as +44 xxxx xxxxxx and the system just strips off the + sign and adds a new +55.

To be honest, there may be a real issue here for a minority of users - if you have friends in many countries, who all want to call you, (lucky you!), then you would probably be best off setting up your call me number in a country that is cheaply callable in general.

For example, imagine that I travel to every country in south america, and meet a beautiful woman in each one, who wants to keep in touch with me, (it could happen!). I also have business contacts around europe. I can only have a call me number in one country. So rather than give a preference to just one of the nice women, (and completely ignore the business contacts), it would be better to set up a call me number in the US, based on the fact that most places in the world have some sort of calling card or other service that offers cheap rates to the US, usually one of the cheapest destinations, often cheaper than calling the UK.

So in this scenario, all of the incoming caller ID would be foreign numbers calling the US, and being passed back to my UK number.
Message 18 of 24

Cleoriff
  • 126102 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7552 Solutions

@Anonymous  this was fascinating to read...However you lost me at the part when you mentioned 'having a beautiful woman in every country'.....The complications of keeping all that secret and seperate is completely beyond me....LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 19 of 24

jonsie
  • 94098 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7019 Solutions

It's eveny harder when you have one in every street.....so which one for New Year's eve Thoughful

Message 20 of 24