cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International Favourites call-me numbers

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just tried to set up a call-me number in brasil.

Yesterday, I specifically asked if one was available in the (86) area code.

Today, I found out, (after buying the service), that the nearest location is about 2000 miles away from where my friends live. That's a long distance call for them, (DDD), which they won't make. To be honest, on PAYG tariffs there, DDD is not much cheaper than an international call.

Plus, I called one of them today on the outbound service, and although the line was clear, there was a long delay of about a second which made the experience rather like a shortwave radio.

Over and out 🙂
Message 1 of 24
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93348 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6986 Solutions
23 REPLIES 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for sharing
Message 2 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Just tried to set up a call-me number in brasil.

Yesterday, I specifically asked if one was available in the (86) area code.

Today, I found out, (after buying the service), that the nearest location is about 2000 miles away from where my friends live. That's a long distance call for them, (DDD), which they won't make. To be honest, on PAYG tariffs there, DDD is not much cheaper than an international call.

Plus, I called one of them today on the outbound service, and although the line was clear, there was a long delay of about a second which made the experience rather like a shortwave radio.

Over and out 🙂

Hi Telephone_user 

Thank you for letting us know of your experience. 😄

Calling abroad can sometimes be a little hit and miss with connections depending on the concerned Networks connections. 

It may be worth looking again at your request to see if there's an alternative area code nearer to your friends location. 

Here is the O2 help-link just incase ->  International Favourites

Take care. 

Message 3 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
Unfortunately the areas available are all in the south, there isn't much difference between them for my purposes.

I called my Brasil number from my O2 handset in the UK, and had it relayed back to me here in the UK again. (I know, I have way too much time on my hands, don't I?). The caller ID displayed was +55447714 xxxxxx.

+55 is the country code for Brasil, and +44 obviously the UK.

Now this number displayed is just the international form of the UK number with +55 stuck on the front.

If you dialed it back, you would either not be connected, as the 44 would be interpreted as a national area code in Brasil.

All very silly and pointless observations, as nobody is going to do this, (deliberately call abroad just to have the call routed back to the UK), but it makes me wonder if there is an official way of forming a dialing string to do this.

Also, I noticed whilst in Brasil that I can't call the UK speaking clock from a local SIM card 🙂 +44 123 doesn't work.

Message 4 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok - just thought I'd throw the question at you. 😄
Message 5 of 24

Cleoriff
  • 124357 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7524 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous  None of your onbservations are 'pointless' (your words)..:smileywink:

You say you travel a lot and to Brazil mainly so any additional info you can post is always going to be of use to someone (I may choose to go to Brazil next year ...instead of Spain...who knows) Happy Dance

Incidentally, I find whilst in Spain I cant use those short codes to text either....they just wont send. wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've never tried a short code whilst in roaming... I actually have several local sims, (one on a monthly contract), for my time in brasil, so I don't usually need to.

Brasil is well worth a visit by the way. My stomping grounds are miles away from any tourist areas, though so your mileage will vary.

Mobile coverage is very patchy outside large cities. You actually feel very alone when you drive out between towns on a road with nothing for 50 miles in front or behind. Not even a 2g signal. Or any other cars. Or anything. Just a few trees. You really don't want to break down out there...
Message 7 of 24

Cleoriff
  • 124357 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7524 Solutions

I may be mixing up my idea of what short code is.... to what it really is?

When I am abroad and watching a UK TV programme and want to vote...they give you the text to vote.

Usually 5 digits? It those that never work...and that's what I refer to as short codes...?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
So, are you are saying, for example that you are in Spain, with a UK sim roaming on a Spanish network, and you see a UK short code advertised such as 11222, and it doesn't work if you call +44 11222?

Or are you saying that a uk sim in roaming in Spain, will not let you call or text a Spanish short code, (advertised over there, for Spanish nationals to call/text)?

I assumed the second...

By the way, do you get good reception of UK tv in Spain? With what size antenna? (That's another area of interest for me 🙂 )
Message 9 of 24

Cleoriff
  • 124357 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7524 Solutions

Right...I have my own place in Spain so am out there frequently. I take my Note 3 on O2 network with me.

So...if I am watching BGT and want to vote via short code text it wont send....either on the Note 3, my old S3 or even when I had my Motorola. The network in Spain I am using is Movistar

Re TV....accessed via the community satellite. BBC1 and 2....ITV 1 Ch4 and Sky news. If I wanted more channels it would have to be over Wifi....but those I have suffice for me

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 24