Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IVA

Mikbrown94
Level 1: Joiner
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I had my IVA application accepted today and o2 was listed as one of my creditors. I’m confused regarding the next step of my monthly mobile contracts, do I keep using the sim as normal and just pay monthly for the tariff, or will the sim get cut off so I’ll need to go pay as you go? I’ve spoke to o2 but no one seems to know the next step.
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143430 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
My understanding is that the IVA covers your debtors so as you've borrowed the money for the device, you are covered. However, the airtime isn't borrowed money, so isn't actually a debt.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

They aren't in the UK so probably don't know what one is.

Message 12 of 17

Mikbrown94
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Ye totally get that MI5, but it is technically borrowed money as you can’t terminate it and still the same length as the device plan. Thanks for your replies.
Message 13 of 17

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22942 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Mikbrown94  Just been looking here: https://www.iva.org/what-debts-can-go-into-an-iva The small print says: 

• "Unpaid Mobile Phone Contracts: Where the phone is no longer being used." Does that apply to you?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 14 of 17

Mikbrown94
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I am still using the phone and tariff (using 2 out of the 3 i have actually). The amount that was put down by the IVA was the combined device amount which made sense, it’s just what happens now that’s confusing haha from the advice on here it seems that I will just be paying the tariff from now on, but I thought the whole point of the IVA is that you are now no longer pay any monthly amounts to creditors?
Message 15 of 17

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143430 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You'd have to return the sim cards or not use them for that to work, I would think.
Potentially, you could run up a huge bill otherwise.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 16 of 17

Mikbrown94
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I would still be looking to pay for a SIM card anyway so I don’t actually mind still paying the tariffs. Just haven’t been advised on what is happening next which is why i made this forum. I really appreciate the replies.
Message 17 of 17