Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

APN Settings - What/When?

RandomName1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Can anyone assist me and explain what the APN settings are and if they are required to change when using the phone aboard?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149958 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28564 Solutions

@RandomName1 

apn is Access Point Name. It controls the data delivery to the phone.

No changes should be required for use anywhere, however, due to the unique way O2 handles iPhone data, you need to have an iData bolt on applied to your account.

Without this bolt on, certain iPhone features won't work and you will not get data abroad unless you change the data apn from the default, which is "idata.o2.co.uk" to "mobile.o2.co.uk"

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 6

RandomName1
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Would you need to change it back to "idata.o2.co.uk" once you get back in the country or can you leave it at "mobile.o2.co.uk?

Message 3 of 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149958 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28564 Solutions

@RandomName1 

You can leave it as "mobile" but you won't get visual voicemail or be able to use your personal hotspot.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 4 of 6

RandomName1
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

This is really helpful. 

Is idata and mobile just different gateways the phone uses?  Do you know where i can find more information on how it works.  Not really much on the internet.

Message 5 of 6

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12683 Posts
  • 95 Topics
  • 1156 Solutions

Yes iData and mobile are just telling the phone to connect in slightly different ways (iData is linked to iPhone accounts, and allows things like visual voicemail to work properly).

If the iData switch is not on in o2 system's then some things will also not work when abroad (as the connection will not be set up correctly, hence the need to swap to mobile).

A couple of links to articles that might help - don't worry about American-isms, the concept is the same on both sides of the pond. Also remember that Google is your friend...

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/what-are-apn-settings-and-how-can-they-fix-data-issues-on-your-prepaid... 

https://www.techmoths.com/technology/apn-settings-for-android-everything-you-need-to-know/ 

https://www.usmobile.com/help/knowledge-base/what-is-an-apn-why-do-i-need-to-input-apn-settings/ 

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 6 of 6