Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4g Signal Manchester city centre

AdamMurphy
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Why is the 4g signal strength so bad in Manchester City Center? I've been working there for the past few days - outside, and found the O2 4g signal strength dire ! It's that poor that my phone cannot complete a signal strength test ... Has anyone else had the same issues ?
Message 1 of 47
46 REPLIES 46

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
It has always been "working" properly.
The issue is the amount of traffic on the network, which would only be improved by a) more masts or b) more network/bandwidth.
As o2 are unlikely to have built more masts (coverage is not an issue), and there have been no more sales of bandwidth I doubt that the slow-ness has improved.
The solution (such as it is) has not changed either - find a WiFi point or try using 3G.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 21 of 47

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143425 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@WordlessJamwrote:
Any update as to whether it’s working properly yet?

It is working properly already. 

It’s just not capable of meeting demand. 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 22 of 47

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions

@gmarkj wrote:
The issue is the amount of traffic on the network, which would only be improved by a) more masts or b) more network/bandwidth.
As o2 are unlikely to have built more masts (coverage is not an issue), and there have been no more sales of bandwidth I doubt that the slow-ness has improved.
The solution (such as it is) has not changed either - find a WiFi point or try using 3G.

Well look who's wrong...

O2 wins largest spectrum share in latest auction

Only question now would be how long until the new capacity is open, and where it will be available.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 23 of 47

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@gmarkjwrote:

@gmarkjwrote:

Well look who's wrong...

O2 wins largest spectrum share in latest auction

Only question now would be how long until the new capacity is open, and where it will be available.

The problem is that we know how O2 drags it's heels. Let's just say I ain't holding my breath.

Message 24 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable

The app is worthless because they will always come back with “network is working fine”

Like @MI5 said, all fine, they have far to many customers for the existing network. 

Just imagine yourself at home using a 2Mbps connection sharing to 10 people (and they all want to stream), something will fail.

o2 in store keeps saying switch to 3G, but then, they say that to everyone that 3G is unusable.

What I’m doing personally is setting my phone to keep WiFi always on and use BT WiFi and O2 WiFi (if you’re o2 customer connect to WiFI Extra network, because normal o2 WiFi is rubbish).

Let’s see the new spectrum allowance...

Message 25 of 47

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

You will be happy to know.

today 12th April. O2 gained there Licence for 2300MHz. Band 40

At 1pm, o2 switched on instantly 60 Masts in London with the full 40MHz spectrum available.

Watch this space but I’ve read  Manchester and Birmingham are on the list of improvements as are many other areas. Some areas will be much faster than others. 

But out it looks like o2 are ready for this Spectrum and have been testing with it for some time as it was tested on o2 headquarters already and showed great results.

o2 are going to go big with the whole Spectrum and there not going to be messing round with it from my reading of it. So only time will tell.

but if you get a Licence from Ofcom in the morning and then go live with 60 Masts at 1pm, this shows they mean business

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 26 of 47

Cleoriff
  • 122360 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I hope Manchester gets their 'present' soon then...Smiley Surprised

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 27 of 47

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

There are 3 Places that are desperate for the improvements.

London, Manchester and Birmingham. 

Birmingham is unuseable round Bullring and Train Station.  I get full 4G signal but no outputs at all.  Get failure on any service speed test. 

Manchetser is either Slow or just fails, Signal is strong, but again just can’t cope with demand.

London is just about on its Knees, many places I didn’t get 4G still which I was amazed, 3G struggled but did work, 4G just can’t cope and I know 60Masts today will be breathing a sire of relief.

Other cities and places. I’ve visited.

Nottingham is good, but does slow when busy, in the Nottingham arena 4G stopped working on all networks but 3G was speedy and 20+ when there.  It was great that people don’t switch back to 3G lol.

Sheffield is good, but round Meadowhall Shopping center o2 struggle, especially when there is a concert or something is going on.  O2 need to invest in this area big time as there is a massive shopping center, cinemas, bowling, Ikea, loads of outdoor shops, massive indoor arena, outdoor arena, and huge business. 

Sheffield center is good and seems to manage to a degree.

Leicester is quite good, just slow and poor round the train station

Derby Train station is poor and needs a mast near by, its lacking coverage

Manchester Airport is well covered and seems to cope just,  I was able to use the phone, speeds just aren’t great, but phone is useable.  Just needs much more capicity. 

Eastmidlans airport is is good to very good.  Speeds are ok and is well covered, little indoor coverage needed but other than that ok.

There are lots of other places I visit as you know but I really hope o2 do come true with the spectrum now

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 28 of 47

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I was in Manchester City centre on Tuesday of this week. I had 2 bars of 4G signal but couldn't get a speed test completed. It just totally failed.  On one test I got a download of 0.5Mbps but got an error message on the upload test asking me to check network connection. Doh...! What did they think I was doing?

At least I was able to use EE though I didn't do a speed test as I was near my data limit. So bring it on ...QUICKLY!  I'm there again on Tuesday next week so I can check.

Message 29 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

I was in Manchester City centre on Tuesday of this week. I had 2 bars of 4G signal but couldn't get a speed test completed. It just totally failed.  On one test I got a download of 0.5Mbps but got an error message on the upload test asking me to check network connection. Doh...! What did they think I was doing?

At least I was able to use EE though I didn't do a speed test as I was near my data limit. So bring it on ...QUICKLY!  I'm there again on Tuesday next week so I can check.

Story of my life... now they updated the app to tell you that there’s a problem with the mast.

I need to find WiFi if need to use my phone, is this XXI century?

That mast issue is now logged for ages according to store and lots of posts here.

I logged the issue several times with the app, received a message “we are working as fast as we can”

Called CS and logged as complain “you will receive an email to update” (so far nothing) and we can offer you s bill credit, as my answer was “as much as I love money I would prefer to be able to use my phone instead of getting some pennies back, that’s why I have a phone”.

My partner 4G speeds are around 23-30 Mbps EE city centre, never tried Vodafone, and Three speeds in Manchester are bad (not as O2).

Message 30 of 47