Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4g Signal Manchester city centre

AdamMurphy
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Why is the 4g signal strength so bad in Manchester City Center? I've been working there for the past few days - outside, and found the O2 4g signal strength dire ! It's that poor that my phone cannot complete a signal strength test ... Has anyone else had the same issues ?
Message 1 of 47
46 REPLIES 46

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143442 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
They can say what they like but the truth is they don't have the capacity needed to keep up with demand.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable

I work in MCR city centre and the lack of signal is ridiculous. I can't even hold a conversation for longer than 5 minutes at best without the call dropping. This is only a recent development perhaps in the last 6 months or so. O2 said it was a hardware issue but I switched back to my old phone and surprise, surprise the issues remain. I'm off to EE after over a decade with O2. 

Message 12 of 47

Cleoriff
  • 122370 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Seems like the best option for you @Anonymous. O2 need to play catch up pretty quickly if they are to stay in contention as a good mobile network provider slight_frown

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 13 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable

The O2 shop confirmed what you say - they said the 4G mast isn't working - and they had hoped to use a Vodafone mast but that plan has not worked out - they have just received a measuring device which is installed in the shop and is continously measuring performance, which they will use to convince O2 to fix it.  Unbelievable!?  They said use 3G which tbh did allow me to listen to spotify - which I couldn't on 4G.

Message 14 of 47

Dajk
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Awful 4g service in the city center consistently 1 bar on The iPhone and have to make WiFi calls but this has only come about the past 6 - 8 months! It’s a growing city so if it’s congestion manchester should be fixed before other little towns! If it’s a broken mast I think 8 months is ample time to fix... either or... it means we should all leave 02 as they seem to be useless!
Message 15 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable

In Manchester my phone shows 4g max signal, yet struggles to load Google's homepage.
I'm literally in the remote mountains of Bulgaria right now, no habitstion in sight, phone showing half an 'H' signal and it's incomparably better than I ever get in Manchester city centre! How can this be?
Going to start demanding a monthly refund until they fix this unfit-for-purpose connection.

Message 16 of 47

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
The letter you see tells you the type of connection you have (or the technology behind it).
It is by no means an indication of speed, which is dependant on how busy the network is.
So you might expect 4G to be better/faster than 3G/H, but if there are more people connected to a smaller amount of network on 4G it will be slower...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 17 of 47

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@gmarkjwrote:
The letter you see tells you the type of connection you have (or the technology behind it).
It is by no means an indication of speed, which is dependant on how busy the network is.
So you might expect 4G to be better/faster than 3G/H, but if there are more people connected to a smaller amount of network on 4G it will be slower...

A good explanation @gmarkj and that's exactly how it is and how it was for me on the occasions I was in the city centre. It's well past time that O2 does something about it but if they aren't too bothered about London anywhere outside the Dome then I have no great expectations that anything will be done in the near future. There's an old saying that goes 'When Nelson gets his eye back' which is about the timescale that I'm expecting !

Message 18 of 47

WordlessJam
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Any update as to whether it’s working properly yet?
Message 19 of 47

Cleoriff
  • 122370 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

We wouldn't know if there is any improvement @WordlessJam You can check via the My Network app where you can see the status and live info. https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/my-network

You can also report issues via the app. Or simply use the status checker

https://status.o2.co.uk/

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 20 of 47