Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4g Signal Manchester city centre

AdamMurphy
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Why is the 4g signal strength so bad in Manchester City Center? I've been working there for the past few days - outside, and found the O2 4g signal strength dire ! It's that poor that my phone cannot complete a signal strength test ... Has anyone else had the same issues ?
Message 1 of 47
46 REPLIES 46

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
A few recent complaints about this - Thought to be congestion, ie too many people all on at the same time.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 47

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I've had the same problem in the city centre. The signal is much better on the outskirts. I think it's definitely congestion. 

Message 3 of 47

AdamMurphy
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Just wondering though if it's so bad why there isn't investment in upgrading it, after all it is a city centre where people do business, communicate, use commerce and so on? I get that lots of people use it but it's not rocket science with it being a city centre and demand isn't being met ??
Message 4 of 47

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
It took 3 years to upgrade our town to help with congestion issues.
No, it's not rocket science but other areas will be on the list ahead of Manchester unfortunately.
You can always try using 3g which will, invariably, be faster in these situations.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable

I and my wife both have the same issue when in the city centre -  virtually useless 4g signal. I've tried switching to 3g and that was no better. ☹️

Message 6 of 47

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I know we have congestion problems but it's ridiculous especially in the capital of England. Why wouldn't O2 make sure major city centres have enough masts placed at strategic places? 

London and Manchester have woeful coverage yet Liverpool has brilliant 4G everywhere. 

Message 7 of 47

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

Sheffield, Leicester and Nottingham have great 4G on o2.  

Birmingham has shocking speeds and coverage on o2. Birmingham new street station and bull ring you can sort of forget to use data,  it fails more than being able to use it.

vodafone and EE were ok, slow but usable.

London is no go for O2.  It’s useable but slow

Manchester is same, useable in places, but slow.

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 8 of 47

jezza1234
Level 12: Nimble
  • 339 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 7 Solutions

The issue you have is not a unique one and is down to capacity and will not be limited to just Manchester(it happens in my town centre also)

O2 uses 800Mghz 4G whilst EE for EG uses 1800 Mghz 4G.

The fundamental difference between the 2 is that 800 is great for coverage(distance) but has a much smaller capacity whilst 1800 offers a smaller coverage footprint but greater capacity.

In more rural areas O2 offers better coverage from each base station site whereas EE for EG offers a smaller coverage area from each base station site.

Itrs swings and roundabouts I guess. O2 will perform better in rural areas whilst not so good in towns and cities and EE for EG the other way round. 

It is also true that on busy days (Saturdays, run up to Xmas etc), capacity on O2 will be reached far sooner owing to to the greater number of people trying to access 4G.

If you can force your phone to 3G I'd do that as 3G is a lot quieter now with the move to 4G so 3G performs rerasonably well.

Message 9 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable
Apparently the 02 shop told me that a mast has been broken in Manchester for montys but is apparently being fixed. The website says the city is fine, More often than not I can’t make a phone call or text or internet when I’m at work. 02 what’s happening?
Message 10 of 47