Did you mean: 

Unlock code/unlatching code for MI-FI device

Bigdave99
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hi,

I bought a MI-FI device off ebay last November. A Huawei E5573B. I didn't know at the time that it was locked to the O2 network. I should have read the advert more carefully.

Anyway, I phoned O2 to see if it could be unlocked. Someone at O2 told me the easiest way was to get an O2 PAYG SIM card for it, and 24 hrs later go to the O2 website and request it be unlocked, using the IMEI number and mobile number from the SIM Card. I did all of this, getting a acknowledgement receipt confirming my request and that it should take approx 10 working days for the unlocking code.

Heard nothing after nearly a month, so put in another request, to then get another email from O2 (a non valid email address so I couldn't reply) apologising for the delay and will get the code sent to me soon.

Well it's nearly 3 months since my first request and I've heard nothing since the start of December.

I've tried emailing O2, but no luck. I've tried phoning O2, but just get sent round in circles by the stupid automated system of press this button for this department, now press this for this department.

i've even tried contacting Huawei, to be told that yes they can provide a code, but there would be a delay of 6 months and it would be quicker if I contacted the network provider the device is locked to!! Hmmm.

All I've got for my trouble is a door stop. The MIFI device is no good for anything else. All I want is for it to be unlocked so I can use the SIM card from another mobile broadband provider (Globalgig).

Does anyone know a sucessful way of contacting O2, without further aggro?

Many thanks.

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

Bigdave99
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Well shortly after posting my message above, I received an unlocking code from O2. Now whether that was pure co-incidence, or me stomping my feet, I've no idea.

It was however the WRONG unlocking code. First time I entered it, I made a mistake. But I made 100% sure I entered it correctly the 2nd time. Still rejected it. Tried once more and still no luck. Now only have 7 remaining attempts before the MiFi device is locked permanently.

I do hope it's not going to be another 3 month wait, or I will be doing more than just complaining!!!!!

Message 11 of 19

Bigdave99
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Well another month passes, and I'm still waiting for O2 to get back to me with the correct unlocking code for my device.

O2 what an absolute dire service you provide. It would have been quicker if i'd walked to China and knocked on Huawei's factory door and asked for the code.

5 months now in total I've been waiting. What a joke!!!!!!!

I might as well chuck the Mi-Fi device in the bin and go buy an unlocked one.

Message 12 of 19

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

It's ridiculous that this has been going on for so long and forcing you to use O2 or ditch it. I would be looking at selling it and passing the problem on. Maybe not quite ethical but someone else could be quite happy using O2.

Message 13 of 19

Bigdave99
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

An update.

After waiting several months, the saga is finally over. I received a phone call from O2 this morning with a new unlocking code that Huawei had provided, and I am very pleased to say that it worked and my MiFi device is now unlocked for any network.

Thank you to all that helped with this matter, especially @EmilieT

Message 14 of 19

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Hurrah!
At last and well done to @EmilieT!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 15 of 19

Cleoriff
  • 122370 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Great to hear @Bigdave99 

@EmilieTwaved her magic wand again rofl

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 19

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Thanks for the update @Bigdave99, I'm really glad we got there in the end slight_smile

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 17 of 19

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Wilby1981
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi BigDave99,

Glad you managed to unlock your M1, I recently given a M1 which is locked to O2. Can you tell at what point do you enter the unlock code? I insert a Voda data sim, it finds the network on M1 device and let other device connects but NO internet connection, I assume this is locked to O2 because works perfectly fine with O2 data sim.

Message 19 of 19