Did you mean: 

Unlock code/unlatching code for MI-FI device

Bigdave99
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hi,

I bought a MI-FI device off ebay last November. A Huawei E5573B. I didn't know at the time that it was locked to the O2 network. I should have read the advert more carefully.

Anyway, I phoned O2 to see if it could be unlocked. Someone at O2 told me the easiest way was to get an O2 PAYG SIM card for it, and 24 hrs later go to the O2 website and request it be unlocked, using the IMEI number and mobile number from the SIM Card. I did all of this, getting a acknowledgement receipt confirming my request and that it should take approx 10 working days for the unlocking code.

Heard nothing after nearly a month, so put in another request, to then get another email from O2 (a non valid email address so I couldn't reply) apologising for the delay and will get the code sent to me soon.

Well it's nearly 3 months since my first request and I've heard nothing since the start of December.

I've tried emailing O2, but no luck. I've tried phoning O2, but just get sent round in circles by the stupid automated system of press this button for this department, now press this for this department.

i've even tried contacting Huawei, to be told that yes they can provide a code, but there would be a delay of 6 months and it would be quicker if I contacted the network provider the device is locked to!! Hmmm.

All I've got for my trouble is a door stop. The MIFI device is no good for anything else. All I want is for it to be unlocked so I can use the SIM card from another mobile broadband provider (Globalgig).

Does anyone know a sucessful way of contacting O2, without further aggro?

Many thanks.

Message 1 of 19
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Bigdave99
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

An update.

After waiting several months, the saga is finally over. I received a phone call from O2 this morning with a new unlocking code that Huawei had provided, and I am very pleased to say that it worked and my MiFi device is now unlocked for any network.

Thank you to all that helped with this matter, especially @EmilieT

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I’ll tag @EmilieT to see if she can help.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 19

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hey @Bigdave99, and sorry to hear you're having difficulties getting your device unlocked ... I'll happily check on my end what we can do to help you further, so I'll send you a Private Message shortly to get a few more details slight_smile

Thanks @MI5 for the mention!

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 3 of 19

ChrisR
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'm having the same problem, got the codes from 02 to unlock it but there is no place to enter it on the dashboard. how did you solve it?

Message 4 of 19

MI5
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@ChrisR wrote:

I'm having the same problem, got the codes from 02 to unlock it but there is no place to enter it on the dashboard. how did you solve it?

Insert an “invalid” SIM. Turn it on and navigate to your modems homepage (usually by entering an IP address such as 192.168.8.1 into your browser address bar) and go to Advanced Settings > SIM Settings > Unlock Device.

Enter your code when asked for it.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 19

ChrisR
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Could you send me the details please? Im having the same issue
Message 6 of 19

Bigdave99
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thanks EmilieT. PM sent back to you.

Message 7 of 19

Bigdave99
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Sorry, forgot to say thanks to @MI5 for flagging this up to someone who could help me with unlocking my MIFI device.

Message 8 of 19

Bigdave99
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Well it's now been 3 months on from my initial request of asking for an unlocking code for my mifi device. Apart from some info from EmilieT, I have heard nothing from O2 themselves.

O2, I find your service appalling and would not recommend you to anyone, nor would I ever become a customer of yours again.

Having to wait for 3 months for an unlock code is far too long IMHO.

Is there anyone else I can complain to? Ofcom maybe?

Message 9 of 19

MI5
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Bigdave99 complaints process is here https://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain and you must complain to O2 first before OFCOM will listen to you.

Try the link to RESOLVER as it usually gets good results.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 19