cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Normal sms converted in to mms when sent as a group message

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just end up with a fat charge because I sent a short sms as group message to around 30 people, my iPhone apparently converted in to mms, 02 charged me, I don't know why 02 allow that, I am going to complain to Ombdusman, this shouldn't happen.
Message 1 of 52
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
You can turn MMS off in the iPhone's settings.

Settings, messages,toggle off MMS

Help link -> How can I stop my text messages being sent as a MMS (picture message) on my Smartphone?

http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=Companion,question=ref%28User%29:str%28Mob...

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 52
51 REPLIES 51

Anonymous
Not applicable
You can turn MMS off in the iPhone's settings.

Settings, messages,toggle off MMS

Help link -> How can I stop my text messages being sent as a MMS (picture message) on my Smartphone?

http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=Companion,question=ref%28User%29:str%28Mob...
Message 2 of 52

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
The ombudsman is there for when all avenues with the network are exhausted, not as a first response.
Contacting the ombudsman straight away will be fruitless.
Instead speak to cs by the methods described at www.O2.Co.UK/contactus
Message 3 of 52

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144066 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Some help here http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Accidental-MMS-Sending-and-How-to-Avoid-it/td-p...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 52

Anonymous
Not applicable
If you go direct to the Ombudsman you will have your case immediately rejected.

You need to follow the following process.

1. Contact CS and discuss the issue. (DO NOT USE LIVE CHAT) If you don't get the desired answer. .....
2. Send complaint via email to complaintreviewservice@o2.com (note you should not do this until you have completed 1 above). There is a turnaround of up to 28 days.
3. If still you don't get the desired answer o2 complaints will need to give you what is called their "final response". If you don't accept this they will give you the details on how to contact the Ombudsman Service. I know you will probably say you know how to but you must follow this process.

To be honest though the best you can hope for is a goodwill gesture from o2 as it is commonly known that groups of messages do convert to mms.

Wish you luck.
Message 5 of 52

Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice advice @Anonymous 

Mihai32, May I ask if the bill was high ?

Part of the link I added lists "7. Sending to more than 25 people – Try breaking the message up into smaller groups" as one reason why a sms can convert to a MMS. 

Message 6 of 52

Anonymous
Not applicable
It should be noted that some devices used to convert to mms when groups more than 10 were sent. I think it may be handset specific.

Most phones have a setting to alert you when your message converts.
Message 7 of 52

Anonymous
Not applicable
I know this is of no use to you now, but may help for future reference?
One of the Pros of Social Networking is the availability to create groups and be be able to contact everyone within that group.
I also use the Messenger part of FB, as I got caught out sending a SMS instead of an iMessage to someone overseas.
Message 8 of 52

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Just end up with a fat charge because I sent a shortsms as group message to around 30 people, myiPhone apparently converted in tomms, 02 charged me, I don't know why 02 allow that, I am going to complain toOmbdusman, this shouldn't happen.

O2 Terms and Conditions (available at http://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/mobile/our-latest-pay-monthly-tariff-terms#inclusive-messages-and-message-charges  ) contains the following (my emphasis in red):-

3. Text Message Charges

3.1 Subject to these Tariff Terms, inclusive messages on Pay Monthly tariffs can be used for texts (meaning individual SMS) sent in the UK to UK mobiles or tablets that are capable of receiving texts, from your SIM card for private and personal purposes. You may not be able to use your inclusive text allowance if you are using a device or tablet that cannot send or receive standard network text messages, so please check device specifications before buying. Text messages sent to multiple recipients MAY be classed as MMS or use a data allowance depending on device functionality

In my view this wording (in red) is unsatisfactory since it does not explain properly the circumstances in which SMS may be treated as MMS with the associated higher cost.  It surely cannot be right that the amount O2 will charge can be determined by some "device functionality" over which presumably neither O2 nor the user has any control?

In any event if O2 are aware if this possibility then they ought to ensure that it is clearly and appropriately drawn to customers' attention in such a way as to allow said customers to decide whether or not to proceed given the higher costs involved for MMS.

Message 9 of 52

Anonymous
Not applicable
Cracking post @Anonymous
Message 10 of 52