cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Normal sms converted in to mms when sent as a group message

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just end up with a fat charge because I sent a short sms as group message to around 30 people, my iPhone apparently converted in to mms, 02 charged me, I don't know why 02 allow that, I am going to complain to Ombdusman, this shouldn't happen.
Message 1 of 52
51 REPLIES 51

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Doesn't everyone have unlimited texts these days ?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 21 of 52

Anonymous
Not applicable

Deleted by me

Message 22 of 52

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:

I am sure a great many do @MI5    which brings me full circle. I just cannot understand why O2 or any other service provider would allow customers to send several thousand SMS messages without charge (ie without a charge over and above whatever tariff is [aid for the privilege) yet if we try to send one SMS with say 600 characters it gets converted, not to a long message but a MultiMedia Message with hefty charge applied.  Like so many things today it does not make any sense to me.  So I will shut up now and go read a good book until it is time for Last Tango in Halifax (the plot of which itself is becoming so convoluted I may have to start a thread for help to sort it out.  OK I know -  way, way, way OT now!! Crazy

Message 23 of 52

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

Not my husband...or my youngest son......I admit they are on older tariffs and have never felt the need to change...because what they get from one...they would lose on another (Both PAYG)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 24 of 52

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
yet if we try to send one SMS with say 600 characters it gets converted, not to a long message but a MultiMedia Message with hefty charge applied.  

That text to one person would just send as 4 texts, but the real mystery to me is why MMS messages are charged independently of any data allowance that the user has?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 25 of 52

Anonymous
Not applicable
Because they make money from it.
Message 26 of 52

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Is the only answer.......

Currently using:
Message 27 of 52

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Is the only answer.......

And what i said on post 13...thank god....LOL I have got one thing right today....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 28 of 52

Anonymous
Not applicable

apologies in advance for the technical post,but I was hoping that our "technical" guys, and there are 2 of them here already , could translate this for us mere mortals. My answer to your question @MI5 is mms have their own platform. Reading this is that what it says? (taken from the nowmms website)

In a typical phone-to-phone MMS transaction, the process of sending and receiving the MMS message works like this:

• The sending phone initiates a data connection that provides TCP/IP network connectivity, usually over GPRS.
  • The sending phone performs an HTTP POST to an MMSC of the MMS message encoding in the MMS Encapsulation Format, as defined by the Open Mobile Alliance. The encoded MMS message includes all of the content of the MMS message, as well as header information, including a list of intended recipients for the message. (Note: In most environments, the HTTP POST will be routed through a proxy server. Some devices will use wireless profiled HTTP and TCP through a WAP 2.0 proxy server, while other devices will use the Wireless Session Protocol, WSP, through a conventional WAP proxy server/gateway.)
  • The MMSC receives the MMS message submission and validates the message sender.
  • The MMSC stores the content of the MMS message and makes it available as a dynamically generated URL link.
  • The MMSC generates an MMS notification message, which is sent via WAP Push over SMS to the message recipient(s). This MMS notification message contains a URL pointer to the dynamically generated MMS content.
  • The recipient receives the MMS notification message. It then initiates a data connection that provides TCP/IP network connectivity (usually over GPRS).
  • The recipient phone performs an HTTP (or WSP) get to retrieve the MMS message content URL from the MMSC.
Message 29 of 52

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

Good grief Fear

Currently using:
Message 30 of 52