cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you recover old messages on Nokia lumia

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi. Is their any way of retrieving old texts. I have a court case soon and need them. They were on my mums phone. We've just realised they aren't there now. She or I never deleted them but when her phone gets to a certain amount of messages old ones delete. Is their any way of getting them back, very important. Thanks
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

My 920 pulled back the old texts automatically when I got my replacement phone and logged into my Microsoft account on it.

I figured this was an automatic setting as I don't remember setting it up...?

Message 11 of 20

aldaweb
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Double checking that text file it's from my HTC HD2 so not from the Lumia slight_frown

But saying that I have messages from when I was trialling the 1020 on the present Lumia so it obviiusly stores them somewhere

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 12 of 20

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149468 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28498 Solutions
I think it stores them "virtually" so it can restore a backup file to the phone but I can't find anything to suggest I can read them on-line anywhere as yet........
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 13 of 20

L_W_Ward
Level 12: Nimble
  • 625 Posts
  • 42 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

If your old phone was a Windows one and you clicked "backup messages" you can. Everytime i reset my phone it syns old messages back to my phone. Sadly some of these are from years ago and in my single days.... they get deleted very quickly as not to upset the Mrs.

On a side note: How do i get rid of these buggers?

iPhone 13 Pro Max 25gBG,
iPad 9th Gen,
Apple Watch Ultra,
,Airpod Pro,
Apple TV 4K,
Apple TV HD,
HomePods,
Message 14 of 20

MI5
  • 149468 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28498 Solutions
Myself and aldaweb have been looking into this and whilst they reappear after a restore we can't find anywhere online they are stored to view or delete them.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 15 of 20

aldaweb
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Ok i think I may have dud up a solution to this though it seems to betouch and go whether it works for everyone, but worth a try and worked for me.

source: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/winphone/forum/wp8-wppersonal/wp-8-where-to-find-backup-for-text-...

You should be able to see your text messages on your desktop/laptop.  Follow these steps:

• Where it says "Quick Views" in th3e left hand side bar, right click on one of the categories and choose "Manage Categories" from the pop-up menu
  • You should see a list of categories with two columns of tick-boxes against each one
  • Tick the "Quick View" on the "Contacts" category
  • A new Contacts quick view will appear.  Click on the heading and you should see your text messages appear in the main message window.

Once created, the "Contacts" quick view category will remain there, so you can go back to your text messages online whenever you want.

This works for me, hopefully it will for you as well.  Microsoft appear to be starting to make changes to outlook.com, so this method might not work in all markets.

Pete

There is also another suggestion here: http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows-phone-8/225574-wow-look-view-text-message-backup-outlook.html

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 16 of 20

L_W_Ward
Level 12: Nimble
  • 625 Posts
  • 42 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

I remember Outlook used to have a messages section, not now though. 

iPhone 13 Pro Max 25gBG,
iPad 9th Gen,
Apple Watch Ultra,
,Airpod Pro,
Apple TV 4K,
Apple TV HD,
HomePods,
Message 17 of 20

MI5
  • 149468 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28498 Solutions
I can get outlook to tell me how many messages I've got by using the method above but I can't see anymore than that.
Message 18 of 20

aldaweb
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

I can open the messages I've received on the 625 but can't see any of the earlier ones from the 1020 trial except on the phone itself.

Message 19 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @adelet94, were you able to access to your old texts? Remember to return to your discussion to mark a post as your solution if you found one!
I hope you find the advice useful. See you around!

Thanks for the recommendations guys!
Message 20 of 20