Message 1 of 51
50 REPLIES 50

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144662 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27731 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

One line in that report gave me pause for thought...

"The referendum result is not binding. It is advisory. Parliament is not bound to commit itself in that same direction".

Is that true?..

Yes

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 31 of 51

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123100 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

@Cleoriff wrote:

"The referendum result is not binding. It is advisory. Parliament is not bound to commit itself in that same direction".

Is that true?..

Yes

Pointless asking the country to vote if this is the case...Rolleys

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 32 of 51

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

@Cleoriff wrote:

Is that true?..

Yes

BUT notice this big "but" ?

If a party decided to ignore a significant result then it would display such massive contempt towards the electorate, would they ever be an elected party again ?

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 33 of 51

Cleoriff
  • 123100 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

Yes I think  the part about them never being elected again would be an obvious conclusion. I just had no idea that it wasn't 'legally enforceable' (for want of another description) I knew we could waffle on for up to 2 years before triggering Article 50.....but as ignoring the vote had never been mentioned I had no idea. (I suspect many others are in the same boat...but hey I admit it!)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 34 of 51

Beenherebefore
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Yes I think  the part about them never being elected again would be an obvious conclusion. I just had no idea that it wasn't 'legally enforceable' (for want of another description) I knew we could waffle on for up to 2 years before triggering Article 50.....but as ignoring the vote had never been mentioned I had no idea. (I suspect many others are in the same boat...but hey I admit it!)

This is why it's not legally enforceable >>>>>

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parliamentary_sovereignty

Message 35 of 51

Beenherebefore
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions
"Referendums are not legally binding, so legally the Government can ignore the results; for example, even if the result of a pre-legislative referendum were a majority of "No" for a proposed law, Parliament could pass it anyway, because parliament is sovereign."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Referendums_in_the_United_Kingdom
Message 36 of 51

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12101 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1125 Solutions

@Beenherebefore wrote:
All I will say is why pay any credence in a comment published in The Guardian and repeated in The Independent ?

It's the same as if O2's Live Chat had told us.

the reason i posted was it is a very interesting take on the situation, especially the bit about not acting on the outcome.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 38 of 51

Beenherebefore
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@gmarkj ....I agree, not everybody is aware of the legalities associated with referenda.

But as I said earlier, God help the Conservative party if they dare go against this particular result wink

Message 39 of 51

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12101 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1125 Solutions
Particularly as they are the ones that promised the referendum.
If any party goes against it then it proves that both sets of parliament (commons and lords) give less than two hoots about the general public!!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 40 of 51