cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The 'Working from Home' support thread

Anonymous
Not applicable

(jf the Community Managers want to shift this thread elsewhere feel free but thought I'd start it here.

As am Asthmatic I requested to work from home and it was agreed as 99.99% of the work I do can be done from a laptop as I 'do IT' for a large organisation but it looks like most people that can have now been instructed to work from home across the organisation.

By the sounds of it the measures might stay in place for 18 months, think I might go stir crazy if that's the case as it is already a tad frustrating as I'd normally go and see someone at their desk if I needed to collaborate with them on something.

Anyone else working from home and want to share their thoughts?

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

ComaChameleon
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 2206 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Fortunately I am retired now, so nothing of any value to add to your thread @Anonymous

Having said that, there has been a request for retired nurses to return to work. In my case that won't be happening anytime soon.

They want to do the same here. So putting the high-risk-groups on the front line... 

I hope all the polititians get an idea of who is the most important and set the wages higher now. 

I would be VERY glad to work from home. It's way safer then working with potential patiens 😞

iPhone 14 Pro Max * 128 GB * Deep Purple * unlocked
iPad Pro 11" wifi * 128 GB * silver + Apple Pencil 2
Apple Watch Series 5 Nike+ (& Series 2)
MacBook Pro 15" 2018 + Magic Mouse 2
Apple TV 4K + HD
Home Pod white + mini

Mobile history:
Alcatel One Touch Easy * Nokia 3310 * Siemens A60 * Siemens SL65 * Nokia 6230i * Nokia 6300i * Apple iPhone 3GS (used) * iPhone 3GS (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 4S (used) * iPhone 4S (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 6 * iPhone 7 * iPhone XR * iPhone 12 Pro Max * iPhone 14 Pro Max
Message 11 of 19

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Brilliant thread @Anonymous! It's going to be a big adjustment for a lot of people so I think a place to share tips is a great idea.

From my personal experience I've found having a dedicated work space at home really helps. Weather it's a desk somewhere in the home or just being in a different room to where you usually relax it helps you get your work cap on and keep work and personal separate even though they're happening in the same place. 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 12 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, three days in and it's going ok.

Don't have time to feel lonely as the calls through my laptop don't stop as people are being sent home department by department so I've been helping them link laptops to their Wi-Fi and sorting out problems connecting to various systems and the boss and my colleagues are in touch via Instant Message.

Am not normally a lunch person but I have been moving away from my desk and having something while I've been working from home though a couple of warm all Butter Croissants (with some addtional butter) and a mug of Tea probably isn't the best choice, damn tasty though!

Message 13 of 19

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Definitely make time to get away from the desk even it means standing up and looking out the window. Good for the posture as well as your muscules get to remember they have another function!

Sudoko is strangely a nice way to take your mind off the screen though try Kakuro if you want something along those lines to challenge you (paper versions of course). 

You might start finding yourself discovering a new hobby with the extra time you suddenly find yourself with. Or a musical instrument or three joy

Message 14 of 19

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@sheepdog wrote:

Definitely make time to get away from the desk even it means standing up and looking out the window. Good for the posture as well as your muscules get to remember they have another function!

Sudoko is strangely a nice way to take your mind off the screen though try Kakuro if you want something along those lines to challenge you (paper versions of course). 

You might start finding yourself discovering a new hobby with the extra time you suddenly find yourself with. Or a musical instrument or three joy

WOT? No cat videos @sheepdogLOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 15 of 19

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

@Cleoriff oh yeah but moved onto Huskeys and Malamutes at the moment. I have no idea how that happened either upside_down

Message 16 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

Such is the demand from people who have just been handed laptops the boss asked who wanted to do overtime this weekend.

I politely declined because while I wouldn't normally pass up extra cash, it's been so busy and I'll admit it's been a bit of a mental adjustment for me so am absolutely cream crackered.

Message 17 of 19

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35929 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1591 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Such is the demand from people who have just been handed laptops the boss asked who wanted to do overtime this weekend.

I politely declined because while I wouldn't normally pass up extra cash, it's been so busy and I'll admit it's been a bit of a mental adjustment for me so am absolutely cream crackered.

Funny how life goes on for the boss, regardless of the mayhem around him/her. 😖

Message 18 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

@pgn wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Funny how life goes on for the boss, regardless of the mayhem around him/her. 😖

Hmmmm

Not going into detail but suffice to say, when this is over I'll be dusting off my CV I think.

Message 19 of 19