Did you mean: 

Snail mail vs E-mail

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi everyone, 

Today is the anniversary of Universal Postal Union's establishment back in 1874, and every year on this day some beautiful stamps are released to celebrate snail mail ... but will you be using them? snail

With phones and computers following us everywhere, it's much easier now to communicate instantly and freely than it used to be. I don't know about you but I personally haven't mailed much post this year! It's a shame, because I do love seeing a card or a letter amongst ads and bills when I pick up my mail 💌

Are you still sending letters to your friends and family, or just emails and texts? Do you send postcards when abroad or share pictures on social media instead? What about Birthday cards? 

Let us know in the comments!

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

Apart from posting junk mail back it’s origin, the only other time I use snail mail is to send or return an eBay item. Can’t remember the last time I used it to send a letter.

Message 2 of 22

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

To be honest, apart from birthday cards, all my communication is by email or Whatsapp or I Skype to my friends in the States. I can't remember the last time I posted or received a letter.

It is so much quicker to communicate electronically, and it never, or very rarely gets lost in the post. 

Personally, I find it quicker and easier to type an email or a message then write a letter. I just don't use snail mail anymore, unless I absolutely have to, and that's normally a form to my local Council 

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 3 of 22

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122923 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

I only send birthday and Christmas cards. Recently a few thank you cards.

Occasionally I will return a survey if it's sent through the post. Obviously the electoral roll is returned. That's it.

I use email a lot, far easier, though a lot less personal.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

E-mail and text (SMS, not Whatsapp)

Message 5 of 22

dgilbert2
Level 13: Prompter
  • 936 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 6 Solutions

I cannot even rememer the last time I sent a snail-mail letter. My wife does though, I cannot believe how expensive 1st class is these days tongue_winking

Message 6 of 22

liggerz87
Level 20: Radiant
  • 1279 Posts
  • 102 Topics
  • 15 Solutions
I have a friend in the US and will be sending chocolate to them lol so not sure if that counts lol
Message 7 of 22

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

I've found that many government bodies will only deal with things by Royal Mail. I've had to send innumerable letters these past few months and it ain't cheap!

Message 8 of 22

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

I've found that many government bodies will only deal with things by Royal Mail. I've had to send innumerable letters these past few months and it ain't cheap!

Yes, @jonsie it's supposed to be a security issue as some Government bodies don't feel email is secure. Which I tend to find amusing as what makes them think Royal Mail is all that secure and, as you say postage costs a fortune these days. 

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 9 of 22

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@Anonymous

Do you buy/sell a lot through Ebay then? I can't remember the last time I used it, I've been sticking to Amazon mostly these days.

@Glory1

Emails rarely get lost in the post, that's true joy They occasionally get rerouted to a Spam folder, but that's better than lost. I don't think any of my mail was lost in the post though, have you experienced that here or in the US?

@Cleoriff

I agree that emails are much less personal but Birthday and Christmas cards are nice personal gestures so it does balance out the emails twice a year smiling

@Anonymous 

Are you not using any messaging app at all or is it just Whatsapp you're not too fond of?

@dgilbert2

LOL Do you know what sort of correspondance your wife uses snail mail for? I'm curious if it's for staying in touch with friends and family, or administrative only.

@liggerz87

I'd say it counts wink very off-topic, but which European chocolates is your friend getting? 

@jonsie

That's a good point, so I take it you only use snail mail when and if you've got no other choice?

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 10 of 22