cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick question for mods/regulars.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry if this has already been asked and answered elsewhere - had look but could find anything.

Is there an easier way to either log-in or stay logged-in?

My browser (firefox) does not offer to save the log-in details for any O2 sites and if I so much as close the page, I am logged out.  Everytime I come to the forum, I have to type my username and password out in full - which is a pain.  It doesn't help that I can't log in with my username - I have to input my full (and rather lengthy) email address.   I tried using a firefox add-on that autofills content but I'm wary of using third-party apps that have access to passwords and the like - very risky.

It's not exactly an earth-shattering problem - but it would be nice to have a simple solution and I'm thinking that I might be missing something obvious such as a user setting.

Cheers slight_smile

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Leonard.

Allowing the browser to remember the username/email address part of the log-in would be enough - even banking website allow that, they just don't allow the password to be saved.

In terms of security, it's arguable that typing a password in is less safe than storing it on the pc.  You have to steal or hack into a pc to get a stored password which may also be encrypted or master-password protected - but you can get a typed password just by looking over someone's shoulder.   For that same reason, logging in via a username is a lot safer than having to type your email address - after all, your username is hardly a secret and has no "value" whereas your email address can be spoofed or spammed if falls into the wrong hands.

Message 11 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks Leonard.

Allowing the browser to remember the username/email address part of the log-in would be enough - even banking website allow that, they just don't allow the password to be saved.

The Firefox add-on " Remember Passwords 1.0.2 " will do this.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/remember-passwords/

It's only a setting in the browsers config which is changed to allow these passwords for secure sites to be saved.
With firefox it's difficult to get at this setting, hence the addon. With IE the setting is more accessible and can be changed manually -- google will point the way.

Message 12 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

This was bugging me as well, so I tried Remember Passwords as recommended by npr and now when I click "sign in" I'm logged straight in.

Thanks npr.

Message 13 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

I prefer not to trust passwords to third-party apps - and it is only O2 sites out of all the ones that I use that have this "feature" so it's not really worth taking the risk.  

Hopefully, O2 will see that not allowing the browser to store the details is potentially creating a security risk by encouraging people to give external apps access to passwords.   The main browsers are tried and tested by millions of people - the add-ons that offer to store passwords will have a few thousand users at best.  It'd be a doddle to have such an app "phone home" with the data it has been given access to.

Message 14 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would agree with that, but "Remember Passwords 1.0.2 " is not a running addon as such, it does not save or control any passwords.
All it does is change one setting in firefox, to tell firefox not to honour the instruction from the web site to not save the password.
You could change this setting yourself but it's not a easy process wink

Message 15 of 15