Did you mean: 

National Picnic Week: 15-24 June

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi everyone! sun sun sun 

You might know from our poll topic the other day that my favourite summer meal takes place at a picnic in a park. smile Did you know that today starts the National Picnic Week across the UK, 15-24 June?

To celebrate the National Picnic Week, I'd like to ask you all for some ideas for your perfect picnic! 

• What would be the ideal picnic location?
  • What food(s) would you pack for your picnic? What drinks?
  • How many people would be coming with you?
  • Would you have any activities/games during the picnic, or is it just about the food?

Looking forward to reading about your perfect picnic and perhaps getting some ideas for mine too. Happy Dance

Picnic basket

(image from the picnic week website, here)

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Marjo. I can't help with this at all.

My husband would rather stick pins in his eyes than go on a picnic.

He has a complete aversion to people 'staring' at him whilst he eats.

We have in the past driven down to France and Spain and there are some lovely picnic sites en-route

The boys and I ate our picnic via these lovely sites. My husband sat in the car to eat his...LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 18

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
Not really a fan of picnics. Sitting in the grass with the ants and bugs.....Yech 😟

Give me a table indoors, either a restaurant or at home. And @Cleoriff you should point out to Ray that people stare in a restaurant too. People are just naturally curious,(nosey!)

Sorry, obviously I'm a bore 😉

Now I'm really away for a bath and hair wash finally. Bye all for now 😆
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 3 of 18

jonsie
  • 92918 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

My best picnic was so surreal, sat on a beach in Bang Saen with my son and two young ladies on Christmas Day, temperature of 35°C. Usually I don't do picnics but Chicken, fish, rice and some unspeakable fried scorpions made that a Christmas to remember. My wife doesn't do beaches so it's unlikely to be something I'd ever repeat. ...although what the eye doesn't see.....

Message 4 of 18

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Picnics can be sooooo nice if they're well organised sunflower

I'd have mainly bread, cheese, and little antipasti-style things - olives, plum tomatoes, lemony artichoke hearts. Maybe some nice hummus and tapenade as well. I'd probably want to have it somewhere quiet, by a riverside or in a park with loads of shade from big trees smiling Bring along some music, and a couple of board games - perfect with my boyrfriend, or/and a handful of friends!

@Cleoriff What kind of picnics did you have with your boys in France and Spain? Would Ray also be against a picnic in your garden if the weather is really really nice? Nobody to stare at you eating there cool 

@Glory1 Not a bore at all, it takes all sorts rainbow

@jonsie That sounds like one hell of a picnic, very unusual menu as well LOL 

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 5 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @EmilieT Nothing special packed for the picnic, as I was aware Mr 'Gottagetamoveon' would be impatiently waiting for us to get back in the car so he could put his foot down to continue the journey.

I have just asked him if he would picnic in the garden and he replied 'what the hell for?'

So I'm guessing that would be a No then....joy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 18

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Hi @EmilieT Nothing special packed for the picnic, as I was aware Mr 'Gottagetamoveon' would be impatiently waiting for us to get back in the car so he could put his foot down to continue the journey.

I have just asked him if he would picnic in the garden and he replied 'what the hell for?'

So I'm guessing that would be a No then....joy

@Cleoriff LOL

I'm going to have a picnic in a garden at least if not in a park, hopefully soon! Will utilise bf's garden for that as, sadly, I don't have my own. A dream location would be a (private) roof-top garden with a view over some grassy hills and fields with flowers. heart_eyes @Glory1 Err I hate bugs, I hadn't thought of that actually. But surely if you use a large blanket they wouldn't reach you? That's what I'm hoping!

@EmilieT Yessss all those foods, sounds great and now I'm hungry! I'd also have strawberries, blueberries and raspberries and some nice drinks too. slight_smile 

@jonsie OMG fried scorpions tirednauseated_face did you eat them?

Message 7 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Blanket on the grass by a river

cold roast chicken thighs + crusty rolls + Wensleydale cheese + grapes + quiche + crisps + Dairylea sandwiches for the kids + cake to finish with ... orange cordial & flasks of coffee

Paddling in the river

One memorable picnic had my dear dad Roy, bless him, make a raft out of 2 litre plastic bottles tied together with string ... kids & adults alike had fun with this 

Family & friends

Message 8 of 18

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@Marjo wrote:

@Glory1 Err I hate bugs, I hadn't thought of that actually. But surely if you use a large blanket they wouldn't reach you? That's what I'm hoping!

Perhaps @Marjo but my fear is them crawling on the blanket. I'm sure they could. Anyway, not going to risk it wink

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 9 of 18

jonsie
  • 92918 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@Marjo wrote:

@jonsie OMG fried scorpions tirednauseated_face did you eat them?

I did...along with Thai whisky & coke. They actually taste a little like well done chicken wings but with less meat!..wink

Message 10 of 18