Did you mean: 

NASA's planet hunting TESS satellite successfully launched today

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey everyone, 

Today is a great day for astronomy fans as the Transiting Exoplanet Survey Satellite (TESS) was launched to begin is planet finding mission! TESS is a follow up to the Kepler mission and will use the same 'transit method' to search for planets around other stars. 

The transit method measures the tiny dip in light that a planet causes as it passes between the earth and the star. Kepler discovered over 2000 planets during its mission and TESS hopes to find even more during its initial 2 year survey. TESS will scan 85% of the sky and will identify target planets for follow up space based telescopes to study in more detail. 

I'll be closely following the results of the TESS mission! How about you guys? Does this kind of thing interest you? 

Further reading

180327163105-002-nasa-tess-artist-concept-exlarge-169.jpg

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

You're right @Cleoriff ... now't like a good ol' laff ... heart

@Glory1 & @jonsie ... I'm into the Roswell thing too ... = ... too many unexplained things

Glory1 ... the late great Sir Patrick Moore = he of The Sky At Night tv programme ... always said there'd be a spacecraft landing on the moon, but not before the end of the 20th century !!! ... sooo ... intelligent life could indeed be discovered during your lifetime slight_smile

On the subject of aliens alienrobot ... I get a buzz when online I have to tick a box to confirm I am not a robot  

I was  fascinated when my dad took us to Jodrell Bank  satellite & into the planetarium = wonderful star

Message 11 of 20

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

@Glory1 wrote:
Considering some of the postings I've seen recently @Cleoriff you could well be right. It would certainly explain a lot 😂🤣

Hallelujah to that!

Message 12 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

There's also the theory that we won't find anything because the intelligent life that was out there developed AI which in turn wiped it out and the AI now keeps itself to itself.

Personally though I do believe we have buzzed by UFOs to perhaps see if we have moved far enough along to pose a threat to them or maybe to see how much damage we have done.

I don't think they are keen for a meeting anytime soon though,

Message 13 of 20

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

I'm certain there is life out there somewhere but as to weather they have visited us or not I'm unsure. UFO's are most likely advanced earth bound craft but you never know! alien alien alien 

As you say @jonsie there are a lot of conspiracies out there! I'd love to visit Roswell and I do enjoy a good conspiracy theory! 

@Anonymous That's quite a probable outcome. They think that AI could surpass by so much we'd be like insects to it and I'm sure an alien AI would have even less interest in us. 

@Anonymous, @Cleoriff@Glory1 Maybe the Community is all Aliens and robots! astonished joy

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!

signature

Message 14 of 20

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@Martin-O2 wrote:

I'm certain there is life out there somewhere but as to weather they have visited us or not I'm unsure. UFO's are most likely advanced earth bound craft but you never know! alien alien alien 

As you say @jonsie there are a lot of conspiracies out there! I'd love to visit Roswell and I do enjoy a good conspiracy theory! 

@Anonymous That's quite a probable outcome. They think that AI could surpass by so much we'd be like insects to it and I'm sure an alien AI would have even less interest in us.

@Anonymous, @Cleoriff@Glory1 Maybe the Community is all Aliens and robots! astonished joy

Mmm........there's a thought @Martin-O2 rofl

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 15 of 20

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

@Glory1 wrote:

@Martin-O2 wrote:

That only confirms my suspicions, I sometimes wonder what planet I'm on......wink

Message 16 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

That only confirms my suspicions, I sometimes wonder what planet I'm on......wink

LOL @jonsie ... sometimes ... I get into the frame of mind 'Stop the planet I want to get Off' ... with my cat Marty tucked safely under my arm, of course 

btw luvving the running black cat (big cat?) in your signature jonsie 

Message 17 of 20

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

There was a reason we went for this emoji pack! robot alien robot alien robot alien robot alien 

signature

Message 18 of 20

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

@Martin-O2 wrote:

There was a reason we went for this emoji pack! robot alien robot alien robot alien robot alien 

Then those not of this earth should have to have one or the other in their signature.......alien

Make it so Mr @Martin-O2 Good Idea

#justsayin'

Message 19 of 20

Cleoriff
  • 123312 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

@Martin-O2 wrote:

Then those not of this earth should have to have one or the other in their signature.......alien

Make it so Mr @Martin-O2 Good Idea

#justsayin'

I have The Game Is On in my signature.....that can be construed whichever way you like alien

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 20 of 20