cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motty!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is hanging up his sheepskin after 50 years and the BBC is rightly celebrating his legacy with a week of John Motson related web and program activity. Ironic really considering the BBC lost the rights to show most football for 30 of those years and he is exclusively a football commentator but clearly a nice guy.

Doubly ironic considering that the BBC has been the exclusive broadcaster for the Olympics , Athletics World Championships, Commonwealth Games and related broadcasts and another 46 year veteran who was a far far better commentator got almost no mention when he retired in 2000  David Coleman. He even covered six football World Cups.

Back then these Olympic type events were much more in the public eye than they are now, (Not counting the London Games) easily front page news - UK Athlete's won quite often and there was a lot less football available. but then Coleman was a hard guy to work with and didnt suffer fools - and he was the first broadcaster to receive the Olympic Order award, in recognition of his contribution to the Olympic movement.

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

"Hanging up his sheepskin" is a new idiom for me. So he is retiring?

I confess I'm not a football fan and don't know much about it, so didn't know about this person before I read your post! Learning something new every day on here. grin

Message 2 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well @Marjo I'm guessing you've heard of David Beckham? - Before he was famous for being David Beckham he was best known for bending free kicks like this. Hence the phrase '''Bend it like Beckham"!

John Motson, who is indeed retiring was commentating and at the time was rather more of a celebrity, and had been one for a lot longer than Becks himself.

"Hanging up your Sheepskin" Is only really an idiom for noted sheepskin coat wearers who are retiring like Motty.; Though the phrase "Hanging Up" an item of clothing implies the end of an era. So a butcher might 'hang up his apron' when he retires.

Message 3 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am a casual football fan (more into Golf or F1) but I do remember his unmistakeable commentary both on TV and in the EA Fifa game franchise.

Message 4 of 24

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Well @Marjo I'm guessing you've heard of David Beckham? - Before he was famous for being David Beckham he was best known for bending free kicks like this. Hence the phrase '''Bend it like Beckham"!

John Motson, who is indeed retiring was commentating and at the time was rather more of a celebrity, and had been one for a lot longer than Becks himself.

"Hanging up your Sheepskin" Is only really an idiom for noted sheepskin coat wearers who are retiring like Motty.; Though the phrase "Hanging Up" an item of clothing implies the end of an era. So a butcher might 'hang up his apron' when he retires.

Ah yes!

David Beckham

I saw the movie Bend It Like Beckham some years ago. Now I know where the title came from. grin

Message 5 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

He'll commentate on his final game this weekend apparently, Crystal Palace v West Brom

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/john-motson-retires-match-of-the-day-b...

Message 6 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

Found this playlist of some snippets from his commentary on YT (Where else) for your enjoyment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2wpH09cOU4&list=PL9C3C3005F1B44E7F

Message 7 of 24

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

David Coleman was awesome and his knowledge of every sport going was unsurpassable. Don't think there's been anyone near an authorative commentary on Athletics since though the Scottish guy of recent years is pretty good (can't remember his name). 

As for John Motson, he's got this really annoying habit of bigging up footballers when they touch the ball in an England game. Case in point: ROOOOOONEEEEYYYYYY touchs the ball near the penalty area in the wrong direction as if he's going to do something special which he never did but that never stopped Motty from screaching his name at every opportunity.

Though he is as critical as praising whatever the game was and thats what his legacy is for football: the critical commentator. Unfortunately that meant we ended up with ex-footballers who are just big mouths providing  no real viewpoint other than their own limitations of the game. Wait is that Ian Wright I see in the corner....

Message 8 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sheepdog

It was clear though that he was enthusiastic about the sport which made him entertaining to listen to I'd say.

The prize for the  most enthusiastic commentary I've ever heard on any sport has to go to Murray Walker, whom as someone once said (can't remember who just at the moment), commentated as though his trousers were on fire and F1 commentary hasn't been the same since.

Message 9 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

I remember Motty in the trademark sheepskin coat - mic in hand - in a snow blizzard snowflake

I shall watch how England do in the World Cup ... but ... I'm not a particular fan of footie = I don't understand the game other than the aim is to put the ball in your opponents net soccer

I'm more of a rugby league fan = more scoring (of tries & goals) & the lovely physique of the players heart

Motty, yes I like Motty ... he will be missed imhho (humble / honest)

Message 10 of 24