cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motty!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is hanging up his sheepskin after 50 years and the BBC is rightly celebrating his legacy with a week of John Motson related web and program activity. Ironic really considering the BBC lost the rights to show most football for 30 of those years and he is exclusively a football commentator but clearly a nice guy.

Doubly ironic considering that the BBC has been the exclusive broadcaster for the Olympics , Athletics World Championships, Commonwealth Games and related broadcasts and another 46 year veteran who was a far far better commentator got almost no mention when he retired in 2000  David Coleman. He even covered six football World Cups.

Back then these Olympic type events were much more in the public eye than they are now, (Not counting the London Games) easily front page news - UK Athlete's won quite often and there was a lot less football available. but then Coleman was a hard guy to work with and didnt suffer fools - and he was the first broadcaster to receive the Olympic Order award, in recognition of his contribution to the Olympic movement.

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122821 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

I just immerse myself in the whole F1 experience @jonsie as you know.

Today it's Drivers Press Conference. I hoped Crashstappen would be there. Sadly they are playing safe with Alonso, Hartley, Perez and Sainz.....rolling_eyes

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 21 of 24

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Ahh yes thanks for the image @Cleoriff, just saw it. I was imagining something completely different. grin

Message 22 of 24

Cleoriff
  • 122821 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Glad you got the 'picture' @Marjo tongue_winking

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 23 of 24

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Hate to say it but sheepskin coats were all the rage in the 70s and I have to say I was the proud (?) owner of one. It seems everyone knew someone who made them and I remember ordering one in my local. Cost £9.99 and in those days I could live off that amount for a fortnight. Probably came over by the boatload from Vietnam or China! Not sure what happened to mine.....

Do they still make them? Maybe there is a little Welsh lady needling away with all the leftover sheepskin 😂😂

Message 24 of 24