cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monty Hall Problem

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you haven't heard of this, then don't Google it - just read through it and see if you follow slight_smile

If you are on a game show, and there are 3 doors; A, B and C. I tell you that  afancy sports car is behind one of the doors, and behind the other two is nothing, which door would you pick?

Now, if I tell you that the door to the right of your chosen door (or the far left, if you chose the far right) hasnothing behind it, that means that only your door and one other are unknown. Do you wish to keep your original door or switch for the other door?

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
As long as you didn't chose the correct door first you can't lose!
Message 11 of 22

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Exactly it'won't work every time obviously but it increases your chances over several goes, so in theory it's your best option to change.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 12 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's a great question. Every time I go to work it out I contradict myself!
Message 13 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
I wrote a computer program which simulated it 1 million times and it worked out that switching was exactly 66% accurate.

It's hardest to visualise with 3 doors but if there are 1 million doors and I open all except yours and one other, it is easier to see.
Message 14 of 22

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144512 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27711 Solutions
That's all part of the fun with stats. You can make them work to whatever mood you're in slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 15 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
Gonna use this one if you don't mind.
Message 16 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have made your choice and are told the one to the right of yours is empty, then you have a 50/50 chance - changing your mind would be pointless - move to the right (braindead) you have no chance, move to the left you still have 50/50

The clue is in the fact that you have already made your first choice wink

Message 17 of 22

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

That's just it it's not 50/50 and the tests have shown that.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 18 of 22

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144512 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27711 Solutions
It can never be a 50/50 chance with 3 variables in play. It doesn't matter which way you dress the question it's just basic stats......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 19 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

@perksie wrote:

That's just it it's not 50/50 and the tests have shown that.

??? have to google it to get my head round this one - must get back to work now tho Smiley Frustrated

Message 20 of 22