cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monty Hall Problem

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you haven't heard of this, then don't Google it - just read through it and see if you follow slight_smile

If you are on a game show, and there are 3 doors; A, B and C. I tell you that  afancy sports car is behind one of the doors, and behind the other two is nothing, which door would you pick?

Now, if I tell you that the door to the right of your chosen door (or the far left, if you chose the far right) hasnothing behind it, that means that only your door and one other are unknown. Do you wish to keep your original door or switch for the other door?

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

You switch.

I'm not sure how it works but I think it gives you a slight advantage.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 2 of 22

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144512 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27711 Solutions

Statistically at the start you have a 1 in 3 chance of getting the correct door. If you stay with the same door the odds remain at 1 in 3. If you switch doors your odds increase to 1 in 2. Therefore you are 1/3rd more likely to win.

To put it another way, staying with the same door gives you a 33% chance of winning, but switching gives you a 66% chance of winning slight_smile

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok, assuming A,B & C are the same size door, They go left from right.

I chose B, So therefore C is empty.

That leaves A & B. You stated that the box to the right (Or far left if you chose C) is empty.

So If you chose C, A is empty
If you chose B, C is empty
if you chose A, B is empty

So where is the car???

(God, I hope I don't look a pillock!)
Message 4 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Ok, assuming A,B & C are the same size door, They go left from right.

I chose B, So therefore C is empty.

That leaves A & B. You stated that the box to the right (Or far left if you chose C) is empty.

So If you chose C, A is empty
If you chose B, C is empty
if you chose A, B is empty

So where is the car???

(God, I hope I don't look a pillock!)

They aren't all empty, it's just to simplify a specific example.

So if you pick any box (say B as you said) and I tell you C is empty so the car is either behind door A or door B, you have a chance to switch your door before opening it or you can stay with your original choice. What do you choose and why?

And what are the odds of it being behind door A or B?

Message 5 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'd stay with my original choice as I've been told a variable about that choice and not the switch.

Surely the odds are now reduced to 50/50?
Message 6 of 22

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144512 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27711 Solutions
No its not 50/50. You had 3 variable to start with so the odds of it been behind your door are still 1 in 3.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
The odds are still 1/3 but the odds of you finding is now 50/50
Message 8 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

Now putting my theory into words after reading MI5 evaluation.

I get that by switching there is now a 2/3 chance of finding the car.

[EDIT] Even though I don't know why!

But, yes I would switch.

Off to Google this now! Very good question!

Message 9 of 22

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

Statistically at the start you have a 1 in 3 chance of getting the correct door. If you stay with the same door the odds remain at 1 in 3. If you switch doors your odds increase to 1 in 2. Therefore you are 1/3rd more likely to win.

To put it another way, staying with the same door gives you a 33% chance of winning, but switching gives you a 66% chance of winning slight_smile

That's the best and simplest explanation of how it works, at least to my battered brain.

A load more theories here, including the James May 100 sample test:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Hall_problem

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 10 of 22