Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile or Landline?

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
I recently read on the BBC Technology page that in the USA more people use their mobiles than landlines. Apparently many households don't even have a landline and rely solely on their mobiles.

This particularly interested me as I don't have a landline and exclusively use my mobile . My reason is that I make so few phone calls that I cannot justify paying additiinal line rental for a service I rarely use. I can browse the net, do on-line shopping, send emails and messages (the latter through Whatsapp not SMS),play games and do a search on any subject even how to spell a word on my mobile. And, of course, make the odd phone call.

So all if this made me wonder what's the situation here in the UK? I assume all of you have a landline as well as your mobile. So my question is which do you use most: your landline or your mobile? And what do you use your mobile for?
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
I guess @Anonymous that I get cold calls on my mobile because that is the only way these companies can contact me as I don't have a landline.

Message 21 of 32

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93294 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

I never get them now on mobile thankfully though I do have one outstanding from last week. 0344 826 0202 which called me at 1am and I presume to be O2. 

On the landline cold callers would sometimes plague me 20 to 30 times a week. 

Message 22 of 32

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@Glory1 Woah you definitely have me beat there! I don't think I'll ever forget my old landline number so I'll report back in 50 years Smiley Very Happy

@Anonymous I get them in waves on my mobile. I'll have 2 weeks of PPI claim and accident compensation calls then nothing for a few months and then it all starts again. 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 23 of 32

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
You nailed it @Martin-O2. They come in waves. In addition to PPI claims and accident compensation calls I've also had Scottish Power ringing me. You too only have a mobile which is why, like me, you get them on your phone. It's their only point of contact.

And good luck remembering your landline number in 50 years time. I won't be here, of course, but I'm sure you'll do it if you have a memory for numbers like me. I'm useless at names but numbers I never forget.

Message 24 of 32

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@Glory1 I haven't had the Scottish Power calls thankfully! I I've had the same mobile number for 10 plus years now so who knows how may cold calling databases it's ended up on by now slight_frown

TBH I'm not that great at remembering numbers (faces I never forget) but for some reason that number just stuck. 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 25 of 32

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
@Martin-O2 you got me thinking. I have had the same number for nearly 10 years as well - first as PAYG and then when I switched to a pay monthly contract I asked if I could keep the same number.

I don't worry about cold callers any more. I have Call Control on my phone that blocks the calls and I add to the blocked calls' when a new number pops up.

As I say I'm useless with names but good with numbers plus faces and voices.

Message 26 of 32

ComaChameleon
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 2213 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@Marjo wrote:

Interesting discussion! From a point of view of a Finnish person I can say that probably around 10-15 years ago (more or less) people started to get rid of their landlines because it ended up costing more than having a mobile phone.

And also because they didn't need a phone line anymore for internet connection either since that too evolved, it was not used at all.

Somehow I still miss our home landline phone for sentimental reasons though. It made a fun noise when dialling. grin It looked something like this one:

rotaryphone.jpeg

grin My grandparents had such one (in a 70's green), I used to love it as a child and loved to dial (without the handset-part, so it didnt cost anything).

We had a one with number pad in red ...That was very modern and rare.

It was rented from the post. Funny things grin

iPhone 14 Pro Max * 128 GB * Deep Purple * unlocked
iPad Pro 11" wifi * 128 GB * silver + Apple Pencil 2
Apple Watch Series 5 Nike+ (& Series 2)
MacBook Pro 15" 2018 + Magic Mouse 2
Apple TV 4K + HD
Home Pod white + mini

Mobile history:
Alcatel One Touch Easy * Nokia 3310 * Siemens A60 * Siemens SL65 * Nokia 6230i * Nokia 6300i * Apple iPhone 3GS (used) * iPhone 3GS (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 4S (used) * iPhone 4S (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 6 * iPhone 7 * iPhone XR * iPhone 12 Pro Max * iPhone 14 Pro Max
Message 27 of 32

jonsie
  • 93294 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions
Message 28 of 32

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
Couldn't agree more @jonsie.

Message 29 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've only got a mobile these days, but the reception in my apartment is patchy to say the least (using BT Mobile), so I should probably invest in a new telephone. I know there are Apps that address that problem, by using a WiFi connection, but it is frustrating that mobile still lags behind in many areas of the country (i.e. in terms of call quality).

Message 30 of 32