Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leeds is voted Best City to Live & Work in

Anonymous
Not applicable

My city of Leeds ... ... ... Hoorah !!! ... ... ... Bouncy

If someone could put up a blue link I'd be grateful slight_smile

As usual with these things it is not clearly stated eg in where - is it in the North of England, England, Great Britain or UK

Leeds has long been a centre for commerce ... & ... a 24 hour city

Wispa' ... ... ... It Ain't Grim Up North Bouncy

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Coventry needs a facelift. I was born and bred there and it is a city which has so much history and beautiful medieval buildings.....Then it was blitzed during WW2 and so much was destroyed and lost forever. Problem was ... it was 'rebuilt' in the 60's and became bland and faceless. Highrise flats.....awful architecture.....criminal really. We have always lost out to our big brother Birmingham in the renovation stakes. ...and yet historically Coventry had so much more to offer in my opinion. Look at what they did with the Birmingham canal. We have a massive canal that used to be one of the main means of transport....left now to rack and ruin. A haunt for junkies and yobs.....So damn sad really...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 22

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Coventry is only developed now for university purposes, our council has all but given up on it as a city beyond the ever expanding campus...
Message 12 of 22

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I think you are getting confused between Coventry and Bolton..,same story I'm afraid but at least Coventry has city status and a cathedral.....

Message 13 of 22

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

I think you are getting confused between Coventry and Bolton..,same story I'm afraid but at least Coventry has city status and a cathedral.....

No confusion @jonsie I was born and bred in Coventry. Grew up after the blitz watching it being rebuilt....Seemed nice in the 60's...Very with it and current. Only as I got older and compared the then and now pics did I feel very very disheartened. It deserved so much more after the pounding it took during that terrible time

Always going to be a target though......housing munitions factories, the motor industry and aircraft parts....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 14 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have visited Coventy a few times with different family members

I know the story of the city during WW11

Luvved the new cathedral, att was gobsmacked by it, never seen anything like it before

On later visits, I marvelled at the big old wooden cross which survived the blitz, albeit in a damaged condition, but it was there amongst the ruined walls of the old cathedral

& if memory serves, as my of family of 3, we visited a toy museum, not much bigger than an ordinary shop ... how we got onto that, pre-internet days, I don't know, we were living in rural Leicestershire att, half-way between Market Harborough & the city of Leicester, via the local reference library or TIC I suppose

Message 15 of 22

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Yes the Toy Museum is in Whitefriars Gate Coventry @Anonymous

http://www.daysout.co.uk/Heart-of-England/Coventry/The-Coventry-Toy-Museum/15398/

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

ty for the link Cleo'

pleased its still there

Message 17 of 22

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

And Whitefriars Gate is one of the most beautiful medieval areas of Coventry still standing

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 18 of 22

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Here you go. Built in 1352

http://www.historiccoventry.co.uk/tour/much-pk-st.php

Whitefriars Gate, Much Park Street - west side

Veritas Numquam Perit