Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Off-Topic

Topics: 763

Re: Leeds is voted Best City to Live & Work in

Coventry needs a facelift. I was born and bred there and it is a city which has so much history and beautiful medieval buildings.....Then it was blitzed during WW2 and so much was destroyed and lost forever. Problem was ... it was 'rebuilt' in the 60's and became bland and faceless. Highrise flats.....awful architecture.....criminal really. We have always lost out to our big brother Birmingham in the renovation stakes. ...and yet historically Coventry had so much more to offer in my opinion. Look at what they did with the Birmingham canal. We have a massive canal that used to be one of the main means of transport....left now to rack and ruin. A haunt for junkies and yobs.....So damn sad really...

*The Game Is On*

Most-Helpful-MemberFriendliest-MemberMost-Useful-GuideBest-Feedbacker
Topics: 83

Coventry is only developed now for university purposes, our council has all but given up on it as a city beyond the ever expanding campus...

Topics: 578

I think you are getting confused between Coventry and Bolton..,same story I'm afraid but at least Coventry has city status and a cathedral.....

[ Edited ]

@jonsie wrote:

I think you are getting confused between Coventry and Bolton..,same story I'm afraid but at least Coventry has city status and a cathedral.....

No confusion @jonsie I was born and bred in Coventry. Grew up after the blitz watching it being rebuilt....Seemed nice in the 60's...Very with it and current. Only as I got older and compared the then and now pics did I feel very very disheartened. It deserved so much more after the pounding it took during that terrible time

Always going to be a target though......housing munitions factories, the motor industry and aircraft parts....

*The Game Is On*

Anonymous

I have visited Coventy a few times with different family members

I know the story of the city during WW11

Luvved the new cathedral, att was gobsmacked by it, never seen anything like it before

On later visits, I marvelled at the big old wooden cross which survived the blitz, albeit in a damaged condition, but it was there amongst the ruined walls of the old cathedral

& if memory serves, as my of family of 3, we visited a toy museum, not much bigger than an ordinary shop ... how we got onto that, pre-internet days, I don't know, we were living in rural Leicestershire att, half-way between Market Harborough & the city of Leicester, via the local reference library or TIC I suppose

Yes the Toy Museum is in Whitefriars Gate Coventry @Anonymous

http://www.daysout.co.uk/Heart-of-England/Coventry/The-Coventry-Toy-Museum/15398/

*The Game Is On*

Anonymous

ty for the link Cleo'

pleased its still there

And Whitefriars Gate is one of the most beautiful medieval areas of Coventry still standing

*The Game Is On*

[ Edited ]

Here you go. Built in 1352

http://www.historiccoventry.co.uk/tour/much-pk-st.php

Whitefriars Gate, Much Park Street - west side

*The Game Is On*