cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Happy Pancake Day! How do you like your pancakes?

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi guys,

So today is Shrove Tuesday aka Pancake Day, so I wanted to ask you all if you're having pancakes today and how do you like them? What are the ultimate pancakes like for you? grin

In Finland we do pancakes a bit differently. Instead of making them on a frying pan, we use the oven and the result is a giant oven pan shaped square and (ideally) quite thick pancake ("pannukakku") which is eaten with jam/berries/whipped cream... Drool

I found this video on YouTube in case you want a recipe and to see what it looks like:

Also while I was drooling over the pancake video above I found another one where a robot learns how to flip pancakes, in case you're interested. grin

If you have any pancake pictures/videos also that you like, I'd love to see them so please post away. thumbsup

Drool

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Greasy horrible things... ugh... no thanks..

although the Finnish version does look slightly more appealing!

Message 11 of 19

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I hate pancakes, far too stodgy for me although I have tried them in recent years Los Angeles at IHOP. I found them exactly the same and as for maple leaf syrup....... Yuk!! Give me HP sauce with them and I might just try them again 😉

Message 12 of 19

Cleoriff
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

A proper pancake should NEVER be thick and there is no excuse for it ever being greasy.

Cooked properly, with lemon and sugar added is the only way for me...though my husband likes jam on his..Rolleys

Related image

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 13 of 19

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

@Cleoriff For me pancakes are thick, and if it's not thick, it's a crêpe. tongue

@jonsie's idea of HP sauce in pancakes is interesting Thoughful Reminds me the best (American style) pancakes I've had was in a breakfast place in San Francisco; fluffy and moderately thick pancakes with whipped cream and fresh berries on top, with a side of crispy bacon strips Drool and roasted herb potatoes. And a big cup of black coffee of course!

Message 14 of 19

Cleoriff
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Marjowrote:

@Cleoriff For me pancakes are thick, and if it's not thick, it's a crêpe. tongue

It depends where you came from @Marjo. My Mum was a Geordie and her pancakes were cooked thin.

I doubt she had ever heard of crepes....:smileywink:

My Nan and Aunty were from Yorkshire and they always served thin pancakes. To me a thick pancake is a Yorkshire pudding Smiley Very Happy

I have tried pancakes made in the US. Covered with fruit and maple syrup....I enjoyed them at the time but the calories, oh the calories.....LOL

PS @jonsie would pour HP sauce over everything I think....joy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 15 of 19

jonsie
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 16 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Marjo my mum made her pancakes thin as @Cleoriff has described ... sadly she did not pass the recipe on to me ... when I try to make pancakes, well, they are inedible = like foam rubber 

Message 17 of 19

Cleoriff
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymouswrote:

@Marjo my mum made her pancakes thin as @Cleoriff has described ... sadly she did not pass the recipe on to me ... when I try to make pancakes, well, they are inedible = like foam rubber 

See...and @Anonymous is a Yorkshire lass....Whistle

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 18 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriffwrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

See...and @Anonymous is a Yorkshire lass....Whistle

lolz @Cleoriff

Message 19 of 19