Did you mean: 

It's Pancake Day!

Breanna
Former Staff
  • 1808 Posts
  • 117 Topics
  • 17 Solutions

giphy (9).gif

It's Pancake Day, otherwise known as Shrove Tuesday or just Fat Tuesday 🎭 where I'm from. Traditionally it's a day to use up all the eggs, butter and sugar and fatty things that might tempt during lent and oh boy have so many places around the world come up with some good things to make with those ingredients.

Now before this morning, I've never heard of pancakes on Fat Tuesday so I thought it might be fun to take a look at some other traditional foods that get eaten exactly 47 days before Easter.

20200108-seo-fat-tuesday-donuts-packzi-donuts-delish-ehg-9205-jpg-1580328534.jpg

Krapfenkreppelkräppelfastnachtküchelchen or packzi are jam filled donuts that are a staple in Austria, Germany and Poland at this time of year. They're also super popular in the Midwestern US where the locals have carried on the traditions of the immigrants who settled these areas.

Semlor-Swedish-Cream-Buns-4-of-5-500x500.jpg

Sweden is pulling out the stops and using all the Fat Tuesday ingredients for these. Semla is a wheat bun traditionally flavoured with cardamom and orange peel, then filled with marzipan and whipped cream. Six million of these are consumed on Shrove Tuesday alone- in a country of 10 million.

473QLRWNNBG3ZMCRSPX4V3LYVU.jpg

It may just be the ugliest cake you've ever seen but this is a New Orleans (and US) tradition. Just don't break your teeth on the plastic baby that get's hidden inside.

Shrove-Tuesday-British-Pancakes-Recipe.jpg

Aaand in the UK, Ireland, Australia and Canada we'll be eating some of these beauties. To be honest, it looks like the simplest way to get the eggs, butter, and sugar directly to your mouth and I appreciate that.

Will you be flipping up some pancakes today? I've never heard of lemon and sugar as a topping but I think I'll be giving that a go.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10771 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

Oh fantastic all those gorgeous yummies @Breanna 

Loved pancakes, when Mum used to make them. 😋 

The semla looked "up my street" love cardamom with the orange .. 😍 

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 2 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122949 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

We always have pancakes on Shrove Tuesday @Breanna 

Must say we also enjoy jam donuts in our family. 😋

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 9

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6607 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1488 Solutions

Still like the old fashioned way. Lemon juice and brown sugar then rolled up. 

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 4 of 9

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6607 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1488 Solutions

FB_IMG_1676989828069.jpg

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 5 of 9

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122949 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

@Enlli wrote:

Still like the old fashioned way. Lemon juice and brown sugar then rolled up. 

Totally agree @Enlli although my other half prefers his covered in jam!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 9

Breanna
  • 1808 Posts
  • 117 Topics
  • 17 Solutions

Sounds like I need to try this.

The only problem with pancakes is that there's always batter for a million of them!

Message 7 of 9

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12073 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions

No pancakes yesterday, but maybe tonight.

Daughter wants my "green pancakes" - not mouldy, just made with some spinach in them.

As for toppings, standard need lemon and sugar, while the green variety have yoghurt and honey!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 8 of 9

Breanna
Former Staff
  • 1808 Posts
  • 117 Topics
  • 17 Solutions

Ooh that sounds nice! I think you guys have the right idea. American pancakes are way too dense and sweet. 

My favourite one has got to be the Chinese scallion pancakes. The dough is made with oil and then it's kind of swirled when it's flattened so it's all layered and crispy. Nothing beats one of those from a street cart.

Message 9 of 9