Did you mean: 

Foldable mobile devices?

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hey guys, how are you all doing today? slight_smile

I just read this techradar article about Samsung's upcoming foldable Galaxy phone. It is rumoured to come out or at least start development this year.

I wanted to ask you guys what you think, are you excited about this type of innovation for mobiles in general? Would you be first in line to get your hands on something like this? And also, what do you think would be the benefit of having your phone screen bending like in the photo below? grin

Samsung has also mentioned that they're interested in differentiating their smartphones with cutting-edge technologies, of which the foldable display is one - wondering what other tech they are planning?

Photo from the article:

Samsung foldable Galaxy X

Message 1 of 41
40 REPLIES 40

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93982 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7019 Solutions

@Glory1 wrote:

@Cleoriff wrote:

I just get this vision of someone saying 'Hang on that's my phone ringing...I will just get it out and unfold it'..LOL

Absolutely priceless LOL

All depends on where they get it out from. I imagine it could be stored in all manner of places.......zipper_mouth

Message 11 of 41

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 23989 Posts
  • 1045 Topics
  • 3773 Solutions

They'll kind of be like the old flip phones, like the RAZR (which I loved for years), except instead of there being a screen and a keypad it will be all screen. My guess is they'll catch on, as phone screens have gotten so big, and there's just so much real estate in your pocket or purse. Being able to fold the screen would take up a lot less room.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 12 of 41

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
Good point, never thought of that. As someone who tends to go for bigger and bigger screens, could be a bonus I guess.
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 13 of 41

Cleoriff
  • 125963 Posts
  • 831 Topics
  • 7551 Solutions

I also loved the Razrs but they were flip phones. A bit different to a bendy phone @Bambino.Smiley Very Happy

No, definitely not for me. Apple did 'bendgate'...though theirs was unintentional.Dance

I think it's a gimmick, though it might catch on with those who must have the latest and 'greatest'

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 14 of 41

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 23989 Posts
  • 1045 Topics
  • 3773 Solutions

I don't think the object of these are for them to just 'bend' @Cleoriff. I think they're intended to fold flat like an old flip phone. If they were just bendy then the gimmick would wear off quickly, but if they actually folded that would make a huge difference. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what they release.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 15 of 41

Anonymous
Not applicable

I like the idea of these bendable phones but surely the price would put it out of the reach of most normal folk! 

Message 16 of 41

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

I agree @Anonymous but there are plenty of fools out there who'll go into debt to get the latest gadgets.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 17 of 41

Cleoriff
  • 125963 Posts
  • 831 Topics
  • 7551 Solutions

Not for me and that's for sure. Though I wouldn't mind taking a look at them closely to see exactly how they worked (Re the foldable part) I just can't believe it wouldn't have an effect on the screen viewing.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 18 of 41

Anonymous
Not applicable

They look like tech 'playing cards' ... wink

Message 19 of 41

aldaweb
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

I prefer the look of the phone that folds out to a tablet - ie 2 screens, one inside folded over one on the cover that has also been mooted by Samsung

Galaxy X

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 20 of 41