Did you mean: 

Foldable mobile devices?

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hey guys, how are you all doing today? slight_smile

I just read this techradar article about Samsung's upcoming foldable Galaxy phone. It is rumoured to come out or at least start development this year.

I wanted to ask you guys what you think, are you excited about this type of innovation for mobiles in general? Would you be first in line to get your hands on something like this? And also, what do you think would be the benefit of having your phone screen bending like in the photo below? grin

Samsung has also mentioned that they're interested in differentiating their smartphones with cutting-edge technologies, of which the foldable display is one - wondering what other tech they are planning?

Photo from the article:

Samsung foldable Galaxy X

Message 1 of 41
40 REPLIES 40

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

wrote:

I prefer the look of the phone that folds out to a tablet - ie 2 screens, one inside folded over one on the cover that has also been mooted by Samsung

Galaxy X

Now that one does appeal to me @aldaweb though it looks as if it will only be available in South Korea slight_frown I also expect it will cost as much as a small car....:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 21 of 41

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
Wow @aldaweb that sounds amazing. Would love to see it.
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 22 of 41

aldaweb
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

wrote:

Now that one does appeal to me @aldaweb though it looks as if it will only be available in South Korea slight_frown I also expect it will cost as much as a small car....:smileywink:

I wouldn't be at all surprised, judging by the Note 8 Smiley LOL

probably need to go the gym to lift it too Whistle

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 23 of 41

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

That sounds pretty cool @aldaweb! slight_smile Was there a photo of this somewhere?

Message 24 of 41

aldaweb
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

wrote:

That sounds pretty cool @aldaweb! slight_smile Was there a photo of this somewhere?

There’s a video on the page linked to above or some photos here

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 25 of 41

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Ah yes had missed that one earlier. That's really cool, wouldn't mind trying it out! Thanks for the info @aldaweb grin

Message 26 of 41

welshsteve76
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I find it really funny that for years mobiles were getting smaller and smaller to the point where the most expensive ones were the really small ones (Nokia ones mainly).  Since the smart phone burst into the life they have just got bigger and bigger.  Personally I find the size of my OnePlus 3T just about perfect. Any bigger is just silly.  When you see somebody talking on a Galaxy Note it just looks ridiculous laughing

Thanks

Steve
Message 27 of 41

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

wrote:

I find it really funny that for years mobiles were getting smaller and smaller to the point where the most expensive ones were the really small ones (Nokia ones mainly).  Since the smart phone burst into the life they have just got bigger and bigger.  Personally I find the size of my OnePlus 3T just about perfect. Any bigger is just silly.  When you see somebody talking on a Galaxy Note it just looks ridiculous laughing

I agree @welshsteve76 that talking on a Note 8 or even my phone, a Galaxy S8+,  may look ridiculous but I use my phone less for making or receiving calls than as a mini computer. I am typing this reply, for example, on my phone. I also stream films/TV shows, shop online and even read books all on my phone. For these things a large screen is essential.

Now I do appreciate not everyone uses their phone the way I use mine. Most people have desk/laptops. But the larger screen phones give you the option to do more and, of course there are smaller screens for those thaf only want to use their phones as phones smile

By the way, I like the look of the phone that opens out into a tablet though I expect the price to be extortinate.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 28 of 41

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

The bigger the better for me @welshsteve76. The older I get the more my eyes fail dizzy

I use my PC for most things, though when I am away from home, my Note is a bonus if streaming a live F1 race for instance. hamgif.gif

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 29 of 41

Anonymous
Not applicable

@welshsteve76 Phones are just too big now. I have ulna nerve problems and holding any phone just brings on pins and needles closely followed by an expensive case of dropsy.

Smaller is sometimes better!!

Message 30 of 41