Did you mean: 

Foldable mobile devices?

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hey guys, how are you all doing today? slight_smile

I just read this techradar article about Samsung's upcoming foldable Galaxy phone. It is rumoured to come out or at least start development this year.

I wanted to ask you guys what you think, are you excited about this type of innovation for mobiles in general? Would you be first in line to get your hands on something like this? And also, what do you think would be the benefit of having your phone screen bending like in the photo below? grin

Samsung has also mentioned that they're interested in differentiating their smartphones with cutting-edge technologies, of which the foldable display is one - wondering what other tech they are planning?

Photo from the article:

Samsung foldable Galaxy X

Message 1 of 41
40 REPLIES 40

welshsteve76
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@Glory1@CleoriffI guess it does depend on what you use them for.  Doesn't streaming mean you need stupid amounts of data though?  Out and about wifi hotspots are never great, certainly not where I live.

and yes, I suspect the foldable phone/tablet will be a stupid price resulting in countless people having huge bills just because they have to have one.

@AnonymousI feel for you. For people with conditions such as your, or small hands these new phones are just silly.

Thanks

Steve
Message 31 of 41

Cleoriff
  • 122892 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@welshsteve76I only ever stream over WiFi. Even if away with friends they is always WiFi available. I would never attempt to stream any F1 race using data. (Its not just the race, it the pre-amble and post race interviews etc). Takes a good 4 hrs...Fear

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 32 of 41

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93214 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6969 Solutions

Big so much better for me with my eyesight and the keyboard being bigger helps with my fat shaky fingers. I do have one main issue with them, having quite bad tinnitus i have to hold the phone with the speaker pressed up to my ear and I find the phone sliding along my ear so i miss important parts of information about appointment times and have to ask them to repeat it.

I don't do any streaming tbh but I do use my phone for absolutely everything else. I'm housebound apart from hospital and doctor's visits and have no laptop so a big phone is essential to me. 

Message 33 of 41

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
@Anonymous 76 I don't stream loads as yes it would use all my data. And I mix it up using data and wifi on my phone. Plus I also stream on my tablet to take the strain. Curiously enough, I find I use less data streaming on my phone than on my tablet using wifi.
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 34 of 41

welshsteve76
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I very rarely stream anything on my phone.  But Iguess I mainly use my phone for different things.

Calls, emails, texts and listening to music are what I mainly use my phone for.

Thanks

Steve
Message 35 of 41

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
@welshsteve76 I also use my phone for emails, messaging through Whatsapp (haven't used sms in months), Skype, listening to music, playing games, on line shopping and occasionally reading (though I use my Kindle Fire more for that). I make very few phone calls.

Message 36 of 41

welshsteve76
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@Glory1How do you find your Kindle Fire?  At first I liked it, but it is incredibly slow for web browsing.  The Silk Browser is shocking, so I downloaded Opera, and that's ridiculously slow too.  I'm not a fan of the Fire OS at all.  I'm thinking of ditching it and buying a new tablet, and then a separate kindle for my books because the Kindle Fire reflects and is useless for reading outdoors.

Thanks

Steve
Message 37 of 41

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
I love my Kindle Fire @welshsteve76, though I do agree with you browsing is a nightmare; particularly shocking in the Amazon Store. I tend to browse on my phone, which is speedy, and use my Kindle Fire for games, reading and streaming. Used to play music as well but it seemed silly to have tracks on my phone and the Kindle Fire. So now it's just music on my phone.

Must admit never tried to read on it outdoors. I know they have a Kindle White, I think it is, that's supposed to be easy to read even in sunlight. But I tend to do all my reading at home.

The one thing I find really irritating is after an IOS update my games will only play using wifi. Eventually it sorts itself out and I can play offline but it does take its time getting back to normal.

Message 38 of 41

welshsteve76
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

wrote:
I love my Kindle Fire @welshsteve76, though I do agree with you browsing is a nightmare; particularly shocking in the Amazon Store. I tend to browse on my phone, which is speedy, and use my Kindle Fire for games, reading and streaming. Used to play music as well but it seemed silly to have tracks on my phone and the Kindle Fire. So now it's just music on my phone.

Must admit never tried to read on it outdoors. I know they have a Kindle White, I think it is, that's supposed to be easy to read even in sunlight. But I tend to do all my reading at home.

The one thing I find really irritating is after an IOS update my games will only play using wifi. Eventually it sorts itself out and I can play offline but it does take its time getting back to normal.

I find that after OS updates (and these happen without your knowledge and do not prompt you I have found), some apps etc lose their ability to run, complaining the SD card is not available.  I've lost count of the number of times I've had to faff around trying to completely uninstall an app (you have to remove from device and cloud to get rid of it), and then re-installing.

Another example is where an app is taken off the Amazon app store.  If you have that app on your device, it will stop working, even though it was working fine before they stopped making it available on the store.  It did this with the Argos app on my Fire.

Thanks

Steve
Message 39 of 41

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
Yes, @welshsteve76 I have had similiar problems with aps/games after an IOS update. And the updates are never prompted, you simply get a notification that the IOS has updated successfully.

I must admit I've not had the SD card not available problem for awhile. It's just being unable to play my games offline. Also after some updates it shows all my games require downloading and I can't play them on or off line. And I have 100s of ganes on my Kindle. I've never understood why it does this. Just seems a quirk with Amazon tablets.

Message 40 of 41