Did you mean: 

Do you follow eSports?

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi everyone, 

This weekend I did something a little unsual (for me at least), and thought it would be interesting to share it with you and get your thoughts on the wider subject slight_smile 

On Sunday, I attended the Summer Finals of the UKLC, the UK League Championship, in an arena within Twickenham stadium. This is an eSports championship, for the game League of Legends. I do not play the game myself, but I've been enjoying watching the World Championships for the past couple of years, and thought it would be fun to go and attend one of the games in person!

As you can see below, it was a beautiful day in Twickenham. They had inflated some giant version of in-game characters outside, which set the tone nicely as we made our way to the doors.

Stadium Stadium decorations

Everyone received a goodie bag, containing some little bits and pieces, including a wristband and temporary tattoo that I put on right away to show support to the team I was rooting for. We also each had two inflatable sticks with ends that could lit up when hit them against each other. Those were used to cheer during the games, and proved very entertaining. Below you can see the trophy at well, that was going to be awarded to the winning team!

Wristbands ArenaTrophy

Then the games started! It was a best of 5 Finals, and both team played incredibly well. It was really fun, the crowd was chanting and following the player's every move on the big screen, and the 3 commentators were both funny and insightful which added to the experience. 

Arena

Unfortunately, the team I was supporting didn't win, but it was all great fun and the victory was well deserved! trophy

Winning team!

Apologies for the length of this post, but I hope you found it interesting, and feel free to ask me anything you're curious about on the event! Do any of you guys follow eSports?

League of legends is one of the many games that has professional players and championships now, so there are a lot of different eSports to get involved in. It's a growing industry as well, and I find it very exciting to see it evolve and reach more and more people of all ages and backgrounds slight_smile

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Sounds like a good day out @EmilieT.
Wasn't there something recently about a tournament for on-line gaming, and I think someone from the UK was part of a team that won?

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 2 of 13

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

I'm not sure @gmarkj, but I know the games Overwatch and Fortnite both have tournaments so maybe you're referring to one of those? I'll do a bit of digging later today to see if I can find out more on that wink

The team that I was supporting in those finals was actually based in Twickenham. They have players form different places, including the UK, but train mainly in Twickenham which meant a huge chunk of the crowd was cheering for them as the home team Mexican Wave

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!

signature

Message 3 of 13

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
An unpopular opinion but let's go...
Now I'm a gamer, I enjoy a bit of battle royale, driving, fighting and even partial to a bit of swinging between skyscrapers dressed in red and blue lycra....
But... I've always, always , ALWAYS hated the term ESports.
It's not sport, they are not "athletes'
And I firmly believe, as a father, that they send out the wrong message to kids that by sitting on your backside playing Fortnite, you can earn a living..
Yes, for 0.00001% that is true, but for the other 99.99999% not so much.
Rant over, hope you had a great time.
Message 4 of 13

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@viridis I'm not sure it's an unpopular opinion at all actually thinking If it were up to me, I would probably have called it competitive gaming rather than eSports. It's more about strategy and skills than physical prowess, and I don't believe all games require the same level of skill and would be worth playing competitively or professionally. 

It was however a really fun day, and I'll keep following the European and World championships for this game. I don't think I'd follow professional Fortnite games though, I don't find Fortnite as impressive and skillful of a game, which doesn't take anything away from it being fun of course -just using this one as an example since you mentioned it as well. 

signature

Message 5 of 13

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Can't stand Fortnite.
It's like call of duty had a bstard love child with Minecraft and thus Fortnite was born.
Message 6 of 13

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Agree that the name is rather misleading (as in, it's not a sport).
It is rather like "normal" sports though in that it is only the top fraction that will ever get paid (or at least, make a living from) this version of it.
And I am horribly bad at all versions of online games, so I don't bother!!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 7 of 13

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Difference is of course, while attempting to become a real athlete in real sports, the unlucky many still have the self knowledge of being fit and active.
Message 8 of 13

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
I just think
"4 years training of competitive marathon running"
Looks better on a CV than
"4 years dorito munching playing Fortnite and trolling other players about their nan"
Message 9 of 13

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Must admit I'm a tad confused about this term esport. I'm not a gamer at all but my grandson is.

Now he plays Call of duty, Football games and F1.

So does this mean he will play football better (he is good anyway) or be able to get in an F1 car and drive it? The answer to the last one is no...They drivers use simulators and have to go through F3, F2 as racers whilst gaining points to get a superlicence to be able to drive an F1 car.

All I know is, he plays all of these games with teams...but from the comfort of home whilst chatting to me. Not Nan @viridis ...but Grandma...upside_down

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 13