Did you mean: 

Cooking tips, recipes and attempts!

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi guys,

So as many of you know I've just had my kitchen renovated (the oven/hob is also brand new!). I now have a lot more motivation for making home-cooked meals than I used to, and I'm very keen on trying out different things to improve my cooking skills!

So far I have made a very simple oven vegetable dish with different chopped veggies (courgette, cherry tomatoes, broccoli, mushrooms, red onion, peppers - of which some came from a pre-chopped packet of veggies from Tesco so it was SUPER easy), a bit of olive oil (well I actually forgot to buy it so used some margarine instead), and a whole cube of Greek feta cheese melted on top. No need for seasoning as the feta is salty and the veggies have a lovely taste anyway! It turned out delicious.

More info
Photo of oven vegetables with feta cheese

I discussed vegan food with @EmilieT earlier and was intrigued. After finding an easy and delicious-looking recipe in a Finnish food blog, I decided to bake a vegan blueberry pie over the weekend. The two "trial pies" turned out great and I took some to the office as well. slight_smile 

More info
Two vegan blueberry pies straight from the oven

We've had some food topics in the past but I wanted to start a new one where I can document some of my cooking attempts!

Please do feel free to do the same if you'd like to share some of your creations (I'd love to see pictures!), and also any tips and recipes you might have for easy beginner cooking that might be helpful for anyone who is looking for some inspiration! Happy Dance 

What's your go-to easy dinner/lunch/breakfast/snack that you make yourself? slight_smile

🌽 🌮 🍜 🥐 🍅 🥕🥝

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10652 Posts
  • 118 Topics
  • 344 Solutions
@Marjo
That's right warm a pitta through (not hot) fill pockets with cooked chicken and salad with salt and pepper! Really nice.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 11 of 23

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Cheers for the tip @TallTrees ! I will try this at some point and let you know how it went!

Message 12 of 23

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10652 Posts
  • 118 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Hi @Marjo To-days Lunch is a pitta filled cheesy I photo'd it 

this is a plain white pitta, I buy chillie and coriander

Wholemeal and seeds there are quite a nice variety.

20190619_112355.jpgwarming on the iron stone

20190619_112914.jpgfilled with cheese and put back on iron stone

20190619_113412.jpgheated through and cheese melting 

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 13 of 23

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Ok that looks SUPER easy indeed. Nice to see photos, thanks @TallTrees ! I don't have a cooking stone but I'll use a normal oven plate if (when!) I try this out.

Message 14 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

@TallTrees wrote:

Hi @Marjo To-days Lunch is a pitta filled cheesy I photo'd it 

this is a plain white pitta, I buy chillie and coriander

Wholemeal and seeds there are quite a nice variety.

20190619_112355.jpgwarming on the iron stone

20190619_112914.jpgfilled with cheese and put back on iron stone

20190619_113412.jpgheated through and cheese melting 

thank you for the photos @TallTrees  ... because ... I would have cut the pitta breads the other way HaHaHa 

sounds a good lunch that even non-cooking me can have a go at

@viridis your steak with such a tasty sauce sounds right up my street ... I love carbs, not good for me at all ... however ... your recipe again sounds like something I can try

@Marjo ... your recipes are enticing ... making me drool = not a pretty sight HaHaHa

I am trying out the town's Tesco tomorrow as the store is near where my mum lives ... I usually use Morissons as it's nearer where I live ... I'll add black olives to the feta cheese topping

Cat

Message 15 of 23

ComaChameleon
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 2200 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Simply phone for a pizza or go to the chippy....

Thank you @jonsie  Hero

I tried that recipe today and it turned out as delicious! grin (Got me some Gyros and fries from the greek xD)

iPhone 14 Pro Max * 128 GB * Deep Purple * unlocked
iPad Pro 11" wifi * 128 GB * silver + Apple Pencil 2
Apple Watch Series 5 Nike+ (& Series 2)
MacBook Pro 15" 2018 + Magic Mouse 2
Apple TV 4K + HD
Home Pod white + mini

Mobile history:
Alcatel One Touch Easy * Nokia 3310 * Siemens A60 * Siemens SL65 * Nokia 6230i * Nokia 6300i * Apple iPhone 3GS (used) * iPhone 3GS (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 4S (used) * iPhone 4S (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 6 * iPhone 7 * iPhone XR * iPhone 12 Pro Max * iPhone 14 Pro Max
Message 16 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ComaChameleon wrote:

@jonsie wrote:

Simply phone for a pizza or go to the chippy....

Thank you @jonsie  Hero

I tried that recipe today and it turned out as delicious! grin (Got me some Gyros and fries from the greek xD)

You've got me ... ... ... Take-Away Tina that's me 

CSE hace wonderful soft, thin 12" pizzas

R have wonderful chicken filet crumb coated burgers & fries with Fanta

HKC have allsorts & they're all great

local chippy have to eat inside, not restaurant, or on canal bank, followed by an ice cream from the Tug Boat, nice husband and wife run it  

Message 17 of 23

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Happy Tuesday!

Over the weekend I cooked pasta with vegetable/feta sauce! I've done that before but this time I got some tips from a friend who was visiting the day before to make it even more tasty. slight_smile

I chopped 2 packs of baby plum tomatoes, big bag of asparagus, 1 bag of spring onions, 3 garlic gloves and a few mushrooms (leftover from before so not a full pack), and fried them on the hob. Added more flavour with veggie stock, black pepper, and chilli powder, and then added 1,5 feta blocks to melt in the sauce. And I made some farfalla pasta with the sauce.

It turned out great and I was very pleased, although some learnings for next time: put slightly less asparagus and a bit less feta too, wash the green parts of spring onions better, and add mushrooms earlier. tongue 

Starting to fry up the veggies

Added some mushrooms

Ready with the feta added in

Message 18 of 23

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Looks very tasty @Marjo 

Did you serve it with rice or anything else?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 19 of 23

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Looks very tasty @Marjo 

Did you serve it with rice or anything else?

I boiled some farfalle pasta with the sauce. slight_smile Rice I hadn't considered but could be a good alternative!

Message 20 of 23