Did you mean: 

5 ways to celebrate Earth Day 🌎

lewys-gp
Former Staff
  • 921 Posts
  • 89 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Earth_Day_Flag.jpeg

Earth Day is an annual event on April 22 to demonstrate support for environmental protection. First held on April 22, 1970, it now includes a wide range of events coordinated globally by EarthDay.org including 1 billion people in more than 193 countries. The official theme for 2022 is Invest In Our Planet.

Below, I wanted to share some ideas on how community members can celebrate Earth Day. Hopefully, some of us can manage to do these 🍖🌳🚗🌱📨.

1. Eat less meat

vegan diet.jpeg

After participating in Veganuary at the beginning of the year, I've managed to sustain an overall vegan lifestyle. From Monday to Friday, I'm pretty much fully vegan. And then on the weekends, I treat myself.

Good for the planet. But, I also feel better for it. I've lost a bit of weight, for example, and I guess it's made me a bit of a better/healthier cook because I'm having to try new recipes. I'll be having this ramen dish from BBC Good Food later 🍜.

2. Connect with nature

connect with nature.jpeg

No, I'm not saying take your shoes off and get your toes in the soil 🤣. Or, hug a tree. Even though I've never tried either, so maybe I should reserve judgement.

I'm simply suggesting enjoying the outdoors. Go for a walk, run or even a picnic. Open the window and breath in the fresh air. Get in the garden and listen to the birdsong. No birdsong? Maybe, make a birdfeeder 🐦.

3. Use the car less

drive less.jpeg

It's not practical for everyone to give up their car. That's more than understandable. But, are there journeys we take that could be done by walking or bike, for example? 

Maybe, commit to having two car-free days per week? Or, if you're meeting a mate, meet halfway. Any opportunities to take one car instead of two? Carpool 😊.

4. Grow something

grow food.jpeg

I recently shared with @TallTrees my efforts of growing some herbs on my windowsill. The seedlings are coming through, and the satisfaction of seeing them is so great. In a few months, I can hopefully use them in my cooking!

You could easily pick up seeds, get some soil and use a plant pot. Certain things can be grown indoors too, such as chillies. It doesn't have to be just food though. Plant some flowers, maybe 🌻.

5. Get political

green politics.jpeg

I'll try to not get too political! But, all I'm saying is there are some local elections coming up in May...

Maybe, do some research on the candidates and vote for the one who is green-minded. Or, find the one who represents your preferred party and contact them. Start a conversation; sign a petition. Lots to consider.

To be honest, I'm not the biggest fan of placing pressure on others to make changes when it comes to our planet. This is because, in my opinion, it should start with companies and governments. But, if you can do at least one new thing, I imagine you'll feel good about it 🤗.

Thanks very much! Happy Earth Day 🌎.

Community Manager for the O2 Community 🙂
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10764 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

Hello there @lewys-gp 

Good posting these are my thoughts and this is what I do.

Eat less meat  ~ yes, I am not a vegetarian or a vegan but for many years have changed to composite style meals that don't have much meat content and are mostly veg herbs and spices, some meals are completely vegetable.   I eat eggs and cheese.

Connect with Nature ~ Definitely yes.  My 1000 Red Mason Bees ( pollinator bees) are busy pollinating all the apple, plum, damsons and pear trees etc., around and about and all look in good health. I feed the wild birds every day with hulled Sunflower Seeds and they get fresh water, in the summer I grind the sunflower seeds up for the tiny birds and place on the ground.  I also look after the Fox who travels through my garden every evening, so at the bottom of the garden I give her a little snack every night.  I place logs for various bugs and mice and moths. I place bird nesting boxes on my Trees and have already got a box full of tiny Nuthatch birds. 

Use car less ~ used much less

Growing Something yes, growing apples, pears, plums, herbs, nectarines, peaches, grapes and figs. 

Get Political ~ I have my views. 

I think Governments are the only way to change things to help Planet Earth.  Unfortunately too much is money related, so I suspect nothing will get changed quickly.

Thank you for posting this subject  @lewys-gp 

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 2 of 3

lewys-gp
Former Staff
  • 921 Posts
  • 89 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

No problem for posting, @TallTrees. Loved reading your comments; your garden sounds like something out of a book! Love the I have my views comment too 😉😂. Have a nice weekend. 

Community Manager for the O2 Community 🙂
Message 3 of 3