Did you mean: 

Cooking tips, recipes and attempts!

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi guys,

So as many of you know I've just had my kitchen renovated (the oven/hob is also brand new!). I now have a lot more motivation for making home-cooked meals than I used to, and I'm very keen on trying out different things to improve my cooking skills!

So far I have made a very simple oven vegetable dish with different chopped veggies (courgette, cherry tomatoes, broccoli, mushrooms, red onion, peppers - of which some came from a pre-chopped packet of veggies from Tesco so it was SUPER easy), a bit of olive oil (well I actually forgot to buy it so used some margarine instead), and a whole cube of Greek feta cheese melted on top. No need for seasoning as the feta is salty and the veggies have a lovely taste anyway! It turned out delicious.

More info
Photo of oven vegetables with feta cheese

I discussed vegan food with @EmilieT earlier and was intrigued. After finding an easy and delicious-looking recipe in a Finnish food blog, I decided to bake a vegan blueberry pie over the weekend. The two "trial pies" turned out great and I took some to the office as well. slight_smile 

More info
Two vegan blueberry pies straight from the oven

We've had some food topics in the past but I wanted to start a new one where I can document some of my cooking attempts!

Please do feel free to do the same if you'd like to share some of your creations (I'd love to see pictures!), and also any tips and recipes you might have for easy beginner cooking that might be helpful for anyone who is looking for some inspiration! Happy Dance 

What's your go-to easy dinner/lunch/breakfast/snack that you make yourself? slight_smile

🌽 🌮 🍜 🥐 🍅 🥕🥝

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Creamed garlic mushrooms
Perfect low carb addition to a fat steak.
Message 2 of 23

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Fry mushrooms with a pinch of veg stock and a clove of garlic crushed.
Once fried add 100ml of double cream and 100g of Philadelphia.
Stir over heat until the cream has thickened and reduced a little, add salt and pepper, a little cajun pepper and serve over a steak
Message 3 of 23

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92908 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 4 of 23

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10655 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions
Hello @Marjo
My quick lunch is a pitta bread (bought from Tesco pack of 4) cut in half warm on heated iron stone take off iron stone open center to form a pocket in each half then fill with grated extra mature cheddar cheese put them back on iron stone until cheese melted inside, turning them over to distribute heat. I use a spatula to turn them.Serve with salad or sliced apple or any fruit.
Can use grill on low heat for same effect or frying pan instead of iron stone.
I like the flat iron stone to make flat breads on chapati unleavened breads.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 5 of 23

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

@viridis creamed garlic mushrooms sound amazing 🤤 I don't often have steak but I can imagine this going with other things as well! My favourite sauce with a steak, when I do have one (mostly in a restaurant) is normally the peppercorn sauce. Now I'm wondering if one would add mushrooms and garlic in it too. 🤤

@jonsie I am an expert in that!! LOL which is why I'm trying home cooking instead now. I'll never give up pizza takeaway though, just reducing a bit. tongue What's your favourite pizza?

@TallTrees Ohhh yes, pitta bread is something I haven't had much before (at least not at home). The cheese option sounds delicious and I think there's other fillings too that I could add. I'll need to investigate this further! grin

Last night I fried slices of aubergine, lots of mushrooms and slices of green pepper in a chilli red pesto, added lots of black pepper and garlic seasoning, a bit of salt, and used the leftover plain yoghurt I had from the blueberry pie. Turned out pretty good but I did manage to overcook the aubergine a bit. Topped with grated cheddar!

Vegetables in red chilli pesto and yoghurt

Message 6 of 23

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Isn't that courgette
Message 7 of 23

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Oh and the creamy mushrooms, make a great peppercorn replacement, (it's also my favourite) for those on low sugar/low carb diets
Message 8 of 23

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

@viridis wrote:
Isn't that courgette

Oh yes apparently it is. grin I often get the words courgette, aubergine and eggplant mixed up... tongue

Message 9 of 23

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
😂😂😂
Message 10 of 23