Did you mean: 

Best city for music!

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hey everyone, 

Each city has a little something that defines it, whether it's a fantastic university, its nightlife, history, or the creativity it fosters. 

Screenshot 2019-02-05 at 12.58.46.png

Whether you're a musician, or a gig-goer, we'd love to hear more about your experience music-wise in the different cities you've been to! 

Which city would you say is the best for live music, or for making music? 

Let us know in the comments! Happy Dance

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25143 Posts
  • 810 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Nice idea for a thread @EmilieT

Unfortunately, I can no longer go to gigs so can`t comment on modern venues but have loads of fond memories.

Being in the West Mids, there were a host of venues in Birmingham which, sadly, have disappeared -

Barbarella`s - where I remember seeing Ian Gillan; Birmingham Town Hall - Status Quo (on one of the fans at the front on the poster inc with one of their albums [photo taken at gig], Barclay James Harvest (and met the band afterwards), Genesis (Foxtrot tour, with brilliant "Suppers Ready" live with numerous Peter Gabriel costume changes), Free, Mott the Hoople; Birmingham Hippodrome - Wings (after which I met Macca and family), Genesis (Lamb Lies Down On Broadway tour); Birmingham Odeon - far too many to mention but inc Rod Stewart, HMK, Tom Robinson Band, Led Zeppelin).

As a huge fan of the best tribute band ever - The Bootleg Beatles (I knew the band and would get me tickets) - saw them all over the UK inc Birmingham, Sheffield, Leicester, Edinburgh, Liverpool, and other places

Birmingham may have had excellent venues but nothing comparied to atmosphere at a gig in Liverpool at the Empire.

Those are my memories and thanks again for a nice idea and bringing back so many happy memories

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 2 of 5

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122895 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

Not sure how I missed this thread but there you go....

I'm unable to get to large gigs now... though have seen some great acts at the now defunct Coventry Theatre...

These include Queen, The Who, Sparks, The Herd, Marmalade, Slade, Showaddywaddy, Dave Berry, Traffic, Hello.

In Birmingham (at Barbarellas @Mi-Amigo) we saw The Heavy Metal Kids

NEC we saw Alice Cooper, Meatloaf, The Who, Sisters Of Mercy, Rod Stewart.

In Leicester at Baileys, we saw Mud, Gary Glitter, Alvin Stardust, Wild Angels and The Three Degrees.

London: Led Zeppelin at Earls Court. (the most boring concert ever)

We have also seen The Bootleg Beatles and The Silver Beatles.

London Marquee. HMK and Long John Baldry.

Wembley: The Rolling Stones

I have forgotten where we saw The Pink Floyd Experience but they were the best tribute band I've ever seen.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 5

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25143 Posts
  • 810 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Cleoriff

Ooops - fancy me forgetting to mention HMK at Barbarellas

But thanks for reminding me of Coventry Theatre, I went there too (company I worked for did promos with tickets there, got to know the manager and got offered free tickets), saw Wishbone Ash and others

Fraid we`ll have to agree to disagee over Led Zep at Earls Court - I well remember the Birmingham fans having tickets at the side of the stage in the arena and Robert Plant acknowledging us when they came back on for the encore - is that just a "dazed and confused" memory?

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 4 of 5

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122895 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

@Mi-Amigo

If I'm completely honest Led Zep have never been one of my favourite bands. The two tracks I love are Stairway to Heaven and Kashmir.

The best part of the Earls court concert was when John Bonham launched into a 12 minute drum solo.Drum  The whole concert was just too long. They had no support act and they played for 3 hours.

I suppose it was great value for money but they tended to use it as an excuse to play unknown songs.

I was falling asleep at the end...sleeping

I forgot to mention one great concert we were booked to see at the Coventry Theatre. It featured Little Richard and James Brown and loads of other black singers.

Sadly it was cancelled as Little Richard was ill. We were really upset as we knew we would never have the cchance of seeing such a concert again...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 5