cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suspicious MMS

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have just received a MMS that purports to be from O2UK.  It is a picture message 879KB and claims to be a "multimedia message notification" from  a "Hidden sender address".  Subject is "Untitled".   Is this likely to be a legitimate message from O2?  Or should I just delete without opening it?

Message 1 of 43
42 REPLIES 42

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

Slightly off topic and apologies to @Anonymous but it seems ok to mention here that since I have been in Spain (for past 3 days) I have been plagued with spam calls. (About 10 in total) I don't answer them obviously and add them to reject list....but for someone who rarely gets these calls when I am in the UK it seems pretty weird they are coming in now.....Confused

No apology necessary @Cleoriff - other peoples' experiences are of interest and help.   I am glad to say that I did not get any spam calls during the 8 days I spent in and around Malaga recently and was connected via Movistar (one of O2's recommended "partner" networks.)

Message 11 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable

@perksie wrote:

I've never known O2 to send anything other than emails or plain texts, so this sounds dodgy to me.

exactly what i receive when my bill is ready, never had a mms from o2 & i never use that kind of messaging as there are other ways much better

Message 12 of 43

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144409 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
No, once deleted from the message list it's gone. The destroy comment was just the emphasise the importance of deleting and not opening.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 13 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
No, once deleted from the message list it's gone. The destroy comment was just the emphasise the importance of deleting and not opening.

Thanks @MI5 - I appreciate the clarification. Including the word "destroy" certainly focussed my attention!!!   

Message 14 of 43

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@MI5 wrote:

Thanks @MI5 - I appreciate the clarification. Including the word "destroy" certainly focussed my attention!!!   

Just @MI5 and his sense of drama! LOL

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 15 of 43

Cleoriff
  • 122949 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

No apology necessary @Cleoriff - other peoples' experiences are of interest and help.   I am glad to say that I did not get any spam calls during the 8 days I spent in and around Malaga recently and was connected via Movistar (one of O2's recommended "partner" networks.)

Yes...I am also on Movistar...but these calls are purportedly UK numbers....Probably thought they would annoy me as I am getting far too much sun....LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable

A FURTHER DEVELOPMENT

Having taken the good advice to delete the suspicious MMS , I have n ow received a further Text Message (allegedly) from  O2_Alert.   This one says "You have been sent a media message from....."  (It then quotes a mobile telephone number which rather curiously happens to be MY own mobile number!!!) "that your mobile does not support.  View it at www dot o2 dot co dot uk/m by typing in your mobile number and pin : "  It then gives a 6 character PIN.

Another one for Delete and Destroy!   Maybe @MI5 's sense of drama is well founded!!!

It's enough to make me jump ship to BT Mobile!!!

Message 17 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable
As a cyberman would say "Delete Delete Delete"
Message 18 of 43

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144409 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
Some spammer is determined to get you to read their rubbish......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 19 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

A FURTHER DEVELOPMENT

Having taken the good advice to delete the suspicious MMS , I have n ow received a further Text Message (allegedly) from  O2_Alert.   This one says "You have been sent a media message from....."  (It then quotes a mobile telephone number which rather curiously happens to be MY own mobile number!!!) "that your mobile does not support.  View it at www dot o2 dot co dot uk/m by typing in your mobile number and pin : "  It then gives a 6 character PIN.

Another one for Delete and Destroy!   Maybe @MI5 's sense of drama is well founded!!!

It's enough to make me jump ship to BT Mobile!!!

if you read it then you will be open to all sorts

Message 20 of 43