cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

just plain greedy!

Anonymous
Not applicable
This will be the nail in the coffin for O2-UK!

just as OFCOM say you can't do it we now have to opt out of their ruling!

GREEDY!

O2 UK requiring new customers to agree to mid-contract price rises
http://www.androidcentral.com/o2-uk-requiring-new-customers-agree-mid-contract-price-rises
Message 1 of 90
89 REPLIES 89

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok, so I've informed watchdog and also made enquiries with Ofcom regarding the fact that O2 are asking people to opt out of their guidelines. Guidelines being the word.

It seems Ofcom have only issued Guidelines so O2 are not obliged by law to follow them.

However, the usual consumer groups are aware and are speaking to the relevant people, Which, Money Saving Expert etc....

In the meantime we need to make sure that anyone signing up to new contracts are made VERY aware that they are opting out of the new guidelines.

@Toby

Perhaps you could post a link to the new T&C's that show how and where the new customer is opting out please?

On a side note Vodafone have publicly said they are abiding by the new guidelines. Perhaps people should consider a move if the coverage and price is right.
Message 31 of 90

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am considering Vodafone now
Message 32 of 90

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's an option. Obviously there are others out there.

It's widely reported that 3 and O2-UK may at some point 'merge' shall we say so consider this if you're thinking of changing
Message 33 of 90

Anonymous
Not applicable
I believe also that Virgin have said they will abide by the guidelines also!

So that's Vodafone and Virgin now.
Message 34 of 90

davethorp
Level 21: Regular
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

I've just ordered a one plan sim only from three which I will port onto when I get my PAC from O2 once I can pay my phone plan off.

I would have left if until nearer when I get my PAC but I read that three are increasing the cost of the one plan sim only from £18 to £22 a month so it made sense to get in while it was still the cheaper price

Message 35 of 90

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good Idea.

It's money saving tips like this that all add up!

Message 36 of 90

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@kev http://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/mobile/our-latest-pay-monthly-mobile-agreement

A quick summary

THIS IS A QUICK SUMMARY OF SOME OF THE MOST IMPORTANT TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF YOUR PAY MONTHLY MOBILE AGREEMENT.

You can see the full terms of your Agreement below, by picking up a copy of our printed terms in an O2 shop, looking on our Website or by asking customer service to send you a copy. It's important that you read and understand the full terms before you sign up.

1. Charges/Price increases – Your Monthly Subscription Charges will be subject to an increase during March 2014 and from 2015, and each year thereafter, during April, they will be subject to further increase or a decrease by the RPI Rate.An example is below (RPI rates are illustrative only):  

If your airtime tariff is £15 a month when you sign up in February 2014.

Year 1: On your March 2014 bill your airtime tariff would be £15.39 a month (if RPI Rate announced Jan 2014 was 2.6%) i.e. £15 x 1.026 = £15.39; and

Year 2: On your April 2015 bill your airtime tariff would be £15.75 a month (if RPI Rate announced in Feb 2015 was 2.4%), i.e. £15.39 x 1.024 = £15.75936.

NB: if you sign up after 28 February 2014 then the examples above should be read as referring to April 2015 and beyond (using the RPI Rate announced in February each year). 

Full terms

5. Charges for our Services

5.1 Detailed charging information can be found on our Website and in our Tariff Terms. The RPI Change and any other increase to our Charges is necessary so that we can continue to provide you with the Service to high standards and/or because our costs have increased in a manner which is outside of our control. 

5.2 We will increase your Monthly Subscription Charges during March 2014 and from 2015, and each year thereafter, during April, we will increase or decrease your Monthly Subscription Charges by the RPI Rate and we will publish on our Website the relevant RPI Rate as soon as it becomes available (an "RPI Change"). If we do this more often and/or by more than RPI then you'll have the right to end this Agreement under paragraph 5.4.

5.3 We may also increase or decrease our Out-of-Bundle Charges from time to time. If we increase our Out-of-Bundle Charges, we'll give you Notice at least 30 days before the Out-of-Bundle Charges are due to go up and you'll have the rights explained in paragraphs 5.4 and 5.5.

5.4 You can end this Agreement without having to pay the Monthly Subscription Charges up to the end of any Minimum Period you have left, if:

(a) we apply an increase to your Monthly Subscription Charges other than an RPI Change; or

(b) we increase any of our Out-of-Bundle Charges in a way that would have had the effect of increasing your total bill (based on your usage in your bill in the month prior to our notification) by more than 10% if the increase(s) had applied for the whole of that month's bill.

5.5 If you want to end the Agreement because of one of the circumstances in paragraph 5.4 you must give us Notice that you want to within 30 days of our Notice. If you don't give us Notice within 30 days, you accept the new Charges and the Agreement will continue with the new Charges.

5.6 We reserve the right to increase our Additional Services Charges at any time and by any amount. We'll post the new Additional Services Charges on our Website. If, following an increase you do not want to pay the new price then you may be able to, unless otherwise specified under a Related Agreement, cancel the relevant Additional Service, or stop using it. For Additional Services we provide with a recurring subscription we'll let you know at least 30 days before the Additional Services Charges are due to go up.

5.7 Paragraphs 5.2, 5.3 and 5.4 won't apply if the increase or change is as a result of a requirement by a government or competent regulatory body. This includes any increase in the rate of VAT, the imposition of a new tax or the extension of an existing tax that has not previously applied.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 37 of 90

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cheers Adam,

Surely they should mention somewhere 

"Contrary to guidelines published by Ofcom"

Message 38 of 90

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

I don't think anyone should take a contract without the total amount payable being known in advance.

I will never take out a contract with any company unless this is true.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 39 of 90

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Kev

No as ofcom guidance page stated this

beyond what you agreed to at the point of sale,  source http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/2014/01/checklist-when-taking-out-a-new-phone-or-broadband-contract/

So by agreeing to the new T&C you agree to o2 being in line with the guidelines. As they state rpi but if above rpi then in breach and can terminate within 30 days on notice being served

P.s. I am not defending this decission but it is now up to the consumer to make the choice between providers!

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 40 of 90