cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

just plain greedy!

Anonymous
Not applicable
This will be the nail in the coffin for O2-UK!

just as OFCOM say you can't do it we now have to opt out of their ruling!

GREEDY!

O2 UK requiring new customers to agree to mid-contract price rises
http://www.androidcentral.com/o2-uk-requiring-new-customers-agree-mid-contract-price-rises
Message 1 of 90
89 REPLIES 89

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Unless of course I win. Am pretty sure that the unfair contact terms act has already been proved to apply in situations where RPI price rises are not advised to consumers by sales staff prior to signing a contact.

Unfortunately not.  Ofcom cleared O2 of any wrongdoing last year as there have been historically Ts and Cs saying they can increase your contract.  Like with any contract, be it mobile phones, mortgages or insurance its up to the customer to check and agree with the small print.

Message 71 of 90

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Damien. That's pretty much the conclusion I've come to too. Sadly I have no proof. I'll simply change providers when my contract is up in Oct. Can anyone tell me what exactly happens at the end of contract. I've heard stories of how some providers simply auto renew if you don't contact them?
Someone mentioned earlier that the contract I signed hasn't changed. That this option to increase prices was always there. That's as maybe. Hardly made clear though is it. In fact, when asked outright about future price hikes that particular fact was completely hidden from me. Who has time these days to trawl through terms and conditions that are usually written in anything but plain English.
Message 72 of 90

Anonymous
Not applicable
You have to contact them 30 days before the contract runs out and tell them you want to end it if you don't it turns into a 30 day rolling contract if you want to keep your number ask for a PAC code as well you give this to the new network and your number will go over
Message 73 of 90

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 147046 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28284 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Who has time these days to trawl through terms and conditions that are usually written in anything but plain English.

Perhaps when you next get a mobile contract you will take the time to understand exactly what you are agreeing to?

It is wise to do so as it's legally binding and protects both you and the supplier.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 74 of 90

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 23547 Posts
  • 1035 Topics
  • 3749 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Who has time these days to trawl through terms and conditions that are usually written in anything but plain English.

Perhaps when you next get a mobile contract you will take the time to understand exactly what you are agreeing to?

It is wise to do so as it's legally binding and protects both you and the supplier.

Any contract you sign, for any service you take, has Terms and Conditions in small print at the bottom of it. It is not the supplier's responsibility to spoon feed you and read those terms to you. The saying goes: 'Caveat Emptor' - 'Buyer Beware'. It's been around since time immemorial. This instance is no different.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 75 of 90

Anonymous
Not applicable
But surely they should have the courtesy, when asked outright if prices might go up during the contract period, to give that information. Instead I was told prices wouldn't increase. That O2 don't do that kind of thing. As far as I'm concerned I was lied to. I can't prove it. Sadly. Moving provider is the best option it seems. M sure I won't be the only one.
Message 76 of 90

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for that, Damien. Much appreciated.
Message 77 of 90

Anonymous
Not applicable
Your welcome and yes if you asked a direct question and was told it wouldn't go up then you were lied to
Message 78 of 90

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 147046 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28284 Solutions
Considering the prices went up last year i find "O2 don't do that" kinda hard to believe from the shop staff. Of course it could have been a deliberate ploy, but without proof you can't go anywhere and get a decision on that.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 79 of 90

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm not in the habit of lying. Unlike some people. I specifically asked the question because I'd heard of this kind of thing happening. His reply was the basis of me signing up. You live and learn.
Message 80 of 90