cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why more expensive than Carphone Warehouse

Anonymous
Not applicable

Been a loyal O2 customer for over 20 years and looking to upgraeto an Iphone 6s (32GB) or 7 (32GB) with 3GB data. Why can Carphone Warehouse offer these phones  with no upfront payment (O2 want £9.99) and a monthly cost of £36.50 and £39.00 per month respectively? O2 are looking for a monthly payment of £44.50 and £48.40.

I find this incredible!

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Which is big factor in the equation. Everyone's circumstances are different but people really need to look at the long term aspect.

Message 11 of 23

Cleoriff
  • 123024 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7471 Solutions

I had a phone to sell on at the end of my contract. However...all I was saying is that people will often go for the cheapest option at the time if it suits their finances better.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 12 of 23

MI5
  • 144511 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27710 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

However...all I was saying is that people will often go for the cheapest option at the time if it suits their finances better.

And all I was saying is that over 24 months it may not be the cheapest option overall. 

I also said originally that "if it suits you". 

We are all different so no one answer fits all. 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 13 of 23

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

In the 20 years I have been with O2 I have never committed to a contract other than sim only. Everyone's circumstances differ but from my own personal point of view, if you are needing to save a £100 or so over the length of a contract then maybe P&G is a better option. I suppose I'm lucky in respect of always buying a phone upfront and then choosing a sim only deal. However I am not being critical of people who want to save a little here or there, i just ask them to look at the bigger picture than having to have the latest phone and worrying later whether they can actually afford it. We have seen problems far too often where people get into difficulties further down the line.

Think long term not short term.

Message 14 of 23

Cleoriff
  • 123024 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7471 Solutions

I went from PAYG to contract . As I say there was a deal on the cards. Since then I have always gone for sim only.

Sadly some people who want a mobile and want it now, often wont look at anything long term.

I wish they did...but having been young (once) I know some people don't.

Completely random and off topic...how many people in their 30's/40's are paying into a pension?

Apologies....Back on topic.:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 15 of 23

MI5
  • 144511 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27710 Solutions
I've been paying into my pension since I was 17 years old.
No way I'm working until I'm 70!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 16 of 23

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Be careful that when you settle in France that whilst a pension looks good on paper, in reality decisions made by people who exchange rates mean diddly to, hurt your standard of living by their policies and sometimes just by opening their big mouth. I really worry about my future but there is always an out for someone my age who has had enough of the UK government and whoever the present or future PM may be ...

Message 17 of 23

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12083 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1125 Solutions
I actually think it can make a difference.
When I was looking at upgrading/renewing my contract, I could choose between o2 directly or a 3rd party.
Taking into account the discount I would get from my employer and the cashback offer from the 3rd party, the difference to me was less than £20 over the two years.
The difference between them was that (as with the OP) o2 wanted a sum up front while there was nothing to pay with the 3rd party.
As I was (and am) relatively short of cash to hand, it made more sense for me to go with the 3rd party.
To confirm everything I had a full on spreadsheet with lists of phones, suppliers/networks and up front, monthly and cashback details. It even showed the equivalent monthly amount!!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 18 of 23

MI5
  • 144511 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27710 Solutions
That is exactly the pont we are making.
Take everything into consideration before jumping in with headline prices.

Currently using:
Message 19 of 23

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12083 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1125 Solutions
Very true.
The other thing I forgot to mention was that for me refresh is not going to get used anyway so I saw no benefit to it.
Admittedly that is only my experience and situation though...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 20 of 23