cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm on pay as you go, had a scam text today and they took £4.69 from my balance. I've contacted 02 they said it was from" shared shortcake for oxygen 8 "they have blocked the no from where it came from.  They have given me a tel to call 03333137900 to try and get the money returned. Has anyone else experienced this?

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@paulinuk wrote:

I had my credit taken twice £15 taken £5 & £10 approx since i have never bought any credit so i only use for getting calls and have a three mobile for calling

Sorry but I don’t understand. 

How can you have had credit taken if you’ve never bought any?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 21 of 28

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 22 of 28

AnnieM
Level 5: Ponderer
  • 114 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

@paulinuk wrote:

I had my credit taken twice £15 taken £5 & £10 approx since i have never bought any credit so i only use for getting calls and have a three mobile for calling

Sorry but I don’t understand. 

How can you have had credit taken if you’ve never bought any?

I wonder if there’s something missing?

”... £10 approx. Since then I have ...” 

Message 23 of 28

Anonymous8
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi there,

Just discovered this on my phone bill too! Did you have any luch getting your money refunded?

Message 24 of 28

EmPen82
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi has anyone had a response from customercare.uk@oxygen8.com and received a refund?
Message 25 of 28

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@EmPen82 

Not sure on here.

However their phone number is +44 (0) 808 206 0808

Oxygen8 Communications Limited,

12th Floor, Lyndon House,

58 – 62 Hagley Road,

Birmingham,

B16 8PE,

United Kingdom

If you have signed up for something you neither want or need then there are things you can do

See community help here:

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Have-you-fallen-for-or-been-conned-into-a-premium-rate-s...

And O2 advice here…

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/account-and-billing/premium-service-checker

and this site will to help you get your money back…

https://payforitsucks.co.uk/

You should also ring Customer Service and ask them to place the following bars on your account:

Bar all Direct to bill debits

Bar Premium rate numbers

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 26 of 28

BCW
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

This scam is still going! Just found 3 charges from 66299 (Oxygen8) on my son's bill. 1 in April, 2 in May. Called O2 - nothing they can do other than put a spending cap on the bill. They said we shouold send 'STOP' to the number, as it's likely he's signed up to a subscription, so these charges will be ongoing. I've sat with my son and gone through all his text history and there is no evidence of a subscription. I am speechless. How can we be charged for something we haven't authorised.

The 0808 number posted above does not work, it's a different company. O2 tried transferring me to a 0344 number they had on file, but its an insurance company, so dead ends. Will try the email suggested above

Message 27 of 28

Valmiki
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi

I have just been the victim of a similar scam.  I noticed £10 worth of charges on my bill for receiving 8 texts from a premium text service which I did not recognise and never subscribed to.  I could not reconcile the dates and times of texts with any of the texts on my phone.  i called o2 and they said there is nothing they can do as the money does not go to them, but is taken directly by Oxygen8.  They advised me to text STOP to the number which in my case was 87121.  As I did this, I realised that in the spam folders there were about 60 messages starting back in Oct 2021.  I had never seen the texts as they were filtered automatically into my spam and as the text are £1.50 each, I didn't notice until now as I have a direct debit with O2 and the overall bill fluctuates a bit every month.  The premium service was for Meme Zone - which I have never subscribed to or come across. So I have emailed both support@meme-zone.co.uk and customercare.uk@oxygen8.com with an official complaint as overall I am owed £100.  I find it extraordinary that I can be charged without my knowledge or consent and that O2 says they are powerless to lift the charges or prevent this from happening.

Message 28 of 28